Chapter 10 - Another Dilemma

Samantha sits in a chair beside the bed that holds her mate. Her right hand holds Jessica's boiling one. She looks at her mate with deep concern because she should not be this hot. Her whole body is sweating. She was so close to snatching that cover off of her mate's body, but her mother stopped her. Not just her mother but the packs doctor.

The doctor had given Jessica a medicine by the form of liquid called Tylond. Tylond is used when wolves who've never eaten human meat finally do so. Their bodies are never used to the meat, so they reject it. Tylond is used to help control the constant jolts, shaking, and stopping of the heart, which are symptoms of eating human meat. One of the symptoms of the medicine is the heating of the body. By the doctor's words, the heating of the body is a healthy sign that the medicine is doing its job. That still doesn't stop it from being alarming to the future Alpha.

She squeezes Jessica's hand while looking over her pale, paler than usual, face. She looks at her with so much admiration. This is the face of her soulmate, whom she hadn't seen in three weeks. Three agonizing weeks. Those three weeks, she had some hope that she'd see her again, but it was always that thought in the back of her mind. How their bond was slowly fading with how much distance was straining on it. Just reliving that crushing feeling has Samantha's eyes watering.

Her heart swells with hurt and she finally allows herself to feel it. Her eyes give out against the fight of her tears and allow them to fall. Her heart twists in on itself and a choked sob is a result of it.

"Jess-" Samantha's voice breaks. She lets out the aching sobs as her heart physically hurts. Her eyes close tightly, trying her hardest to stop the pain. Her other hand comes up to cover her face as she leans forward on the bed.

"I am so sorry," her voice full of anguish. "I should've been stronger. I should have fought off the BloodWinders hard. I should've never allowed myself to be caught by Karla. I should've been.." She hiccups a cry. "I should've been stronger. You wouldn't be in this bed, in this situation if not for me."

She cries and cries until she physically can't. The fear she felt being away from her mate is something she wouldn't want to feel ever again. It was so unbearable. She couldn't even focus on that pain because of the physical pain she was receiving from Karla's BloodWinders. For her to fear she'll never get to touch her soulmate again is something she will never relive. She won't let that happen again.

What brings her from inside of her head is a soft knock at the door. She looks to the left of her at the door and wipes her eyes. Before speaking, she clears her throat.

"Come in."

The door squeaks open slowly before Kristen comes into view. Her face is full of caution and concern. Samantha makes out a little pity somewhere in there but pays it no attention. Instead, she gives a soft smile. A smile that had to be forced to show. She won't lie and say she isn't happy to see her dear friend. She just didn't have time to focus on anyone else once her and her wolf caught sight of their mate.

Kristen closes the door softly behind her. Her blue eyes meet Samantha's. "I just thought you'd enjoy some company besides your own," she pauses. Her eyes shift and then focus back on Samantha. "I hope I didn't think wrong?"

Samantha lets out a low sigh and glances at Jessica. "You didn't think wrong," she looks back at Kristen and smiles. "I'd love your company. I did miss my friend too."

Kristen finally lets all anxiousness flow out of her and gives a matching smile back.

//

[ A week later ]
[ Black's Pack House Gym ]

It's crazy how everything can seem to be so right, so perfect and the next it comes crashing down. The feeling of relief of seeing her mate didn't last long with Samantha.