Chapter 28

"As of today, she insulted our Madam once again," reported by the spy that I implanted among Crystal's attendants. She was my hidden eyes and ear in the days when I'm not beside with my wife. I was thankful that she can be trusted and obey my commands to protect Madelaine in her own way.

This young lady in front of me instantly came here just to tell me, how devastated my wife after her first social gathering in Celtic. I watch Madelaine poured her heart and soul in preparing the event. She was tired despite her work and teaching Crystal. Then, I thought that I might lessen her burden through hiring a mentor for that Princess.

Though, she doesn't need to please everyone of them in that tea party but if it will make her happy, so be it. We have more influence in the society than what she thinks or from what she can gain to her guests. The visitors must be the one who feel grateful for being invited, not the other way around.

"Did you memorize the names that were involved?" I was pertaining to the ladies who are impolite to my wife.

"Absolutely, including the Baroness and the others."

A smirk formed on my lips as I trace with my quill the map of the lands that they own. Perhaps, they are currently enjoying their wealth and spending their fortune lavishly. It will only take a few days before I will see them lying down on the street, begging for a bread as their business will soon to be ruin. "Keep it a secret to the Grand Duchess."

"By all means."

I'm aware of what that wench doing to my wife. Every word that comes out from her filthy mouth was being reported to me. Not a single humiliation will pass by and I will make sure that it will be rebutted to her tenfold. I can't help but to imagine her being tortured and crying for help.

"Alright. You're excuse."

"Yes, Your Excellency." The maid bowed her head and went out of my office that only leaves Josh and me.

Silence reign among us before the Knight cleared his throat. "Here are the papers, Sire."

"Hand them over," I said as I grabbed those documents that I recently ordered him and hastily read the contents. I laugh when I discovered quite important.

I finally found out the reason why the Princess decided to tell me about the Datae on the exact date of the Crown Prince's birthday. To buy her enough time to seduce me and make her the Grand Duchess instead. However, she failed mesmerizing me and resolve her scheme in killing me or escaping at the night of the ball.

Still, I'm not sure within the two choices and this is why I have to endure her annoying presence. Listening to her voice makes me want to silence her. Yet, it was easy for her to be read like a book as she was already leaking out small information while wasting my time with her. Hence, Josh and I began to investigate her to formulate a cautious ploy.

And we end up being here. All of this for just a mere ring.

Because that wench, has no plan in telling us where are the Datae gems located. If I know she will be this useless, I will never content myself in a peace treaty with her country. I should have killed all of those bastards. I never expected how low their King will be, sending their daughter. I bet they are still communicating through letters and plotting behind my back.

"Have you heard the act of treason of the Duke Nababaliw?" He was greedy and will do anything for the sake of money even betraying his own ruler. Just put it simply, he has gone mad. And he also formed alliance with Mazo to sell valuable information about our country in exchange for his trade business.

"Yes, I discovered that he has a connection with the Princess," Josh answered. "But then, what about it?"

The Emperor of Arello will surely make a request to capture him. Knowing my knights are skilled and reliable. By that time, the Princess will take it as an opportunity to argue and persuade me with a haste decision of sending my troops to the Dukedom. Then, when the ball will eventually occur, there was no one to protect myself from her attack.