Chapter 17

In this world, polygamy is allowed. Where a man can marry more than one woman. The first wife will always be the superior. Then the husband can only allow the second wife to be a concubine as well as the others.

The moment I blink my eyes; it was a scene that I didn't expect that will engrave in my mind. I know in myself that it will eventually happen and I thought my heart was prepared for it.

I am still currently standing at the entrance along with the Crown Prince. Inevitable, his presence was quite uneasy. As I introduce him to the servants, they immediately kneeled down and bow their heads.

A carriage stopped before us, enough to steal our attentions. The door opened and a handsome man step down. My eyes lift and glowed, I was about to walk closer when he suddenly offered his hand to a lady that was left inside.

The excitement I was feeling earlier vanished just like how fast my heartbeat. Pumping more blood like I was lack of oxygen. Even I want to move my feet that seems stuck on the ground, the pain that I was enduring all along couldn't withstand the sight of him, holding someone.

Stay still, Madelaine. I told myself as I closed my mouth that partly fell from being taken aback. Do not cause any trouble.

Don't cause such...

"Welcome home Your Excellency," the maids greeted him yet I wasn't able. He turned around and saw us.

"Madelaine," he uttered.

My gaze went to the other girl he brought and smiled bitterly. That must be his lover that he brought. So, the endearment he usually calls me is long gone after having her. And here I am, worrying that they were having a hard time conquering Mazo because the war last for months.

I bowed my head. Perhaps, they even held a ceremony in that country before coming back. "I'm glad for your safe return."

He clenched his jaw. Like he found something displeasing. "Greetings Your Royal Highness, may the Arello flourish with your reign. May I ask what might business do you have here?"

A smirk formed on the Crown Prince's red lips that was standing beside me. "Skip pleasantries, will you? My friend it's been awhile, I've only accompanied your wife back in your estate."

Might be I was too exhausted and wanted to sleep that I was already imagining things with how the Grand Duke darkened his face. As I blink my eyes that were fooling me, his reaction was the usual.

"Rather, why don't you introduce the beautiful woman you've taken to a liking?" His Royal Highness was pertaining how rude for her not to greet at the presence of the next-in-line to the throne. Good thing, I listened well to my teacher. If not, perhaps he might become my enemy.

"This is Crystal, a princess from Mazo," he coldly stated.

"Good afternoon. I am the wife of Alcide," she stated, not daring to bow her head at us and chose to cling on the arm of my husband. Typical of people from Mazo, they hold pride with their status and below them was treated as nuisance.

I wince and look down at my feet. There was something that I couldn't recognize inside of my chest and it worsen when I heard that they call each other with their first names. Why does it have to bother me?

"Forgive me for asking. I'm new to this place, might be you two are also married? If so, then care to join us for dinner?" she innocently smiled while inviting us.

Our mouths closed and the servants stoned on their position. There was a brief silence that arise and only the swaying leaves, brushing against each other made a sound. A group of birds flying in the vast sky with their triangle formation have brought the wind to passed by in the distance between us to filled the empty spaces.