Chapter 20

"Please move it a little further," I requested as my hand motion the left side.

The workers did what was they told. They adjust the painting to my desire position. I place my finger under my chin when an idea pops up. "On the second thought, to the right edge."

"Yes, Madam!"

"Hmm. Should we just hang it on the entrance?"

"T-that's fine too, Madam," they agreed with hesitation. Their sweats were dripping as they seem to be already exhausted. The men carried the expensive portrait at the location that I wanted it to be. Perhaps, we should take a break for a while?

"Madam. What about this kind of color?" a random maid approached me. Making me choose among the pastels and vintage for the table cloths.

"Is there another option? Which is pleasing to the eyes and welcoming?" I caress the cotton to feel the softness and its quality.

"Understood Madam, I will look for more," she eagerly stated with her fire in her eyes. It's good that we have such servants like her. I shall tell Jackson that to hire more people like her.

"Yes. Thank you."

The mansion is currently hectic and lively. There were maids everywhere, cleaning and preparing the small event I'm planning to host. Changing the heavy curtains and carpets are such a difficult task.

It all started because of Jackson. So, the servants blame him because of their additional works. The Head Butler informed me that I should engage myself in tea party as it was necessary to form connections between different families.

Even I hate his idea to entertain the guests, Crystal will surely mock me that I'm a failure as a Grand Duchess. And I will hate her high-pitch voice, lecturing me all day. She will add spices to her hoaxed words about me to spread rumor once our paths cross again. Though, I did agree not because I'm afraid of her but because it is indeed essential.

Speaking of that woman, due to some circumstances. I haven't seen her from the past few days. And because I was already busy with the budget plan and proposing the theme design, I don't have enough spare time to teach her. So, the Grand Duke hired a mentor for her out of consideration for me.

With the disturbing things happened between us, I really hope not to see her face. As I remember the punishment that the Grand Duke bestow upon me. I feel my cheeks burning and my body fidget.

I look at the list of the things that must need to do and tried to focus. There were still tons of unchecked box in my task note. When I turned around to see how the others were doing, I saw the Grand Duke standing behind me.

"Hmm." I cleared my throat for him not to notice how nervous I am. "Are you going somewhere?"

He messes his hair that was neatly fix by his assistance and I must say, he really does look ravishingly handsome with his noble outfit. "I'm going to the Imperial Palace to report."

Since he returned, I wasn't able to stroll in the market like the usual. Then, I realize that it's been a while since I saw the Crown Prince. Going to the Imperial Palace will mean that he might see him. Chances are fifty-fifty though. Knowing the absurdity of His Royal Highness, I'm guessing that he escaped once again and roam alone in the street.

I nod. "Alright, safe travels."

We stared at each other's eyes, that seems to form an invisible connection until our attentions were grabbed by the chattering maids as they wander in the mansion. I averted my gaze as I feel my face getting heated. The memories last few nights are coming back.