Chapter 5

"A lady should not slouch. Stand straight with confidence and never lower your gaze."

I badly want to breath out the heaviness inside of my chest that I'm feeling. Yet, I'm afraid that her sturdy eyes will catch me. She's the teacher that the Grand Duke hired and I don't have a single clue that she will be this absolute.

At dawn, when the sun was just about to rise and I was sleeping so deeply. Celine suddenly woke me up, saying that my mentor has arrived with her carriage. And so, I end up here. In this study room without having a proper breakfast, complying in her strict words.

I just hope, she wouldn't hear the grumbling sounds of my stomach. Lunch should arrive by now. Then, I reminded myself with my eyes close in mind. Madelaine, be patience.

"Stay still Grand Duchess," she ordered me strictly. Her footsteps walk around from my front to back while observing the posture I must have. I can feel the cold metal stick of the ruler that she placed under my chin, avoiding to make me look down.

It was three and I was a fool, alright. She let me chose three books, and I thought that she wanted me to read it for her, believing that reading was included in our lesson. And I know myself, a lover of historical thick pages so, I chose those kinds of books excitedly.

Then, I suffered the consequences. Supposedly, all I know that books were meant for learning, I didn't know placing it on the top of my head was the purpose. My smile had vanished and was replace by a feeling that my brain will be flat because of its heftiness.

"Now, in a conversation. Look into the eyes of the person who you speak to. It's rude if you avoid their stares. They might think that you weren't listening."

"I understand."

"Your voice must be enough to reach their ears with full of clarity. Remember in your mind, that only a fool will talk back. You must stand with elegance and full of dignity," she strictly implied. "You shall stay silent if you think it's not necessary for you to speak."

"Alright."

I flinched when she throws me a glare. "I just said earlier. Don't talk if it's not needed."

"A Grand Duchess is a higher position; you must not bow your head to anyone who is below to you even if it's your husband's lover. You rule many lands. You rule Celtic, you will manage them. Thus, you hold the power. Use that as your weapon."

The whole session made me learned a lot of things. She has the knowledge and experience that anyone wanted. Even if her teaching is strict, as long as it makes sense. Then, probably I don't mind enduring the pain.

"Alright. Were finish here."

Thank goodness. She removes those books and I can finally move freely. I thought my lesson were done yet, when she opened her mouth with the wrinkles that surround, my shoulder got discouraged.

"Now, for the next lesson," she paused before showing me a half-evil smile. "Etiquette."

I accidentally let out a sigh which she immediately scolded me for. This woman that looks in her fifties, I wonder if she's already in her menopausal stage. She didn't even let me rest from standing for two hours.

We sat down and the porcelain teacups that are luxury occupied the round table between us. Sadly, I don't like etiquette that much. Scratch that, I'm not fond of it. Even father would reprimand me because of how I was stubborn in refusing to learn manner.

"Holding a teacup should not be difficult. Watch me."

She demonstrates me how she drank her tea with just a little bit of sipping and raising her pinky finger. Each of her gesture looks so elegant and professional like she was in this industry for a long time. She then placed back the cup on the small plate without making a noise.