I clear my throat, "About last night.." I began to bite my nails, then quickly recovered from the bad habit and began to run circles over the cushion.

"Don't even remind me." She groaned.

Startled, I ask. "What happened, Helen?"

"Urghhh again with that overthinking, Zara. Sex was okay but my Knight in shining armour was wearing a rented armored suit, his house, or I should say a one-bedroom apartment was so damn tiny." She answered viciously.

"You live in a one-bedroom apartment." I pointed, flattening the fine lines I had made over the cushion.

"A girl needs the promotion from this mediocre life duhhh..." She sang, casually. "I should have said no when I saw his car but- "

"Helen, do you know how materialistic you sound." I scold her in anger.

"Says the girl who went out with the billionaire bachelor, Gian Armani.!!! Newsflash, sweetheart. He is not coming back." She taunted me.

"Did you see us leaving together?" I respond sharply, digging the phone painfully closer to my ear.

"No need to act so defensive, Zara. He is all over with a different girl every time. He wouldn't have been sitting with you if he didn't want a piece o-" I didn't let her complete the derogatory sentence and cut the call in anger.

My eyes prickled with tears, my knees gave out and I fell on the floor, the phone landing somewhere near my legs. Hiding my face in my hands, I bawl over my mistake. My dignity, all those morals I had repeated over and over in my head. I threw it all... All over a weak moment. I cry even harder after realizing that this had been the first real chance I had. And I had shown my true self by hitching myself over his hard-on.

My legs begin to get numb being tucked under my thighs. I drop my hand from my face when I felt Van Gogh's paw touch my knee.

Gasping in shock. I gather him in my arms his front legs flung over my shoulder, head resting on the crook of my neck. Supporting his paralyzed legs under my arms, I hug him and cry even harder. He also whimpered with me.

He had crawled 3 feet distance for me, carrying the dead weight of his partially paralyzed body. He fell asleep in my arms again sniffing. I realize that I had forgotten to give him his morning medications. Wiping my tears I push to my feet on wobbly legs and fill his plate with food, lightly patting his cheek I woke him up. Leaving him to his favorite time of the day.

I contemplate throwing the food I had prepared for Gian and I, on a whim. But thought against it, I have already wasted my time with him I am not gonna waste food too. I somehow just swallowed the food, biting on my tears. He left me.

*****

In the evening, I was sitting under the small porch outside my house, watching Van Gogh toddle as a part of his therapy, his back legs were tied to his training wheels. Every time he completes the small distance, his eyes turn to look at me and I cheer and smile in encouragement. In the beginning, the smile was all fake, but he wouldn't budge from his spot and instead make his own sad face for me. I smiled for him, for the only thing that loves me.

When he was done I cuddle him in my arms massaging his leg softly. I closed the door behind us coming inside.

A strange feeling washed over me, the similar one I had felt last time when I was 16. I rubbed my chest lightly, as the gut feeling became stronger. My life is going to change from here on and just like last time, It won't be in my hands to control it.

 My life is going to change from here on and just like last time, It won't be in my hands to control it

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
Mafia & Miss Honey  | Mafia Heirs #1 |   ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें