Chapter 2

It had been exactly 2 weeks to this day that I had last seen Malaki and Damien. I must admit that I was curious to see how the little guy was progressing. 

Mainly what color his eyes were. Eyes were my eakness and I wouldn't be surprised if his eyes brought me to my knees. The kid was my weakness for God knows what reason. 

"Earth to Lee!" I blinked and focused in on Uri who was waving her hand in my face. "So is tonight a go?" I shook my head and yawned. 

"Its Friday night, but I'm beat. I worked a 14 hour shift yesterday and an 8 today. I'll consider it tomorrow night." Uri grudgingly nodded and walked away to make her rounds. 

I loved Uri for her insistence, but sometimes I wished she'd let me be. I had been single since the day I was born. The only time I'd kissed anyone was when I was 8 and it was with another girl. I was curious and I didn't even like it much, so I don't consider it my first kiss. I passed by the glass window and glanced at my reflection.

My long black hair bounced on my brown shoulders, and my dark eyes stared back at me. Even the distorted mirror view couldn't hide the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep. I couldn't complain because I loved the outcome of my job, but still I wish I could get a little sleep. 

I checked on my last baby and clocked out. My bed was calling my name and I would gladly answer. I drove home and dropped my keys on my kitchen table. I went straight to the fridge and grabbed a vitamin water before collapsing on the couch. 

I closed my eyes and allowed my body to unwind and relax. It almost hurt because it felt so good to relax. 

Buzz. Buzz. 

I groaned at my iphone buzzing on the coffee table in front of me. I almost ignored it because it was a personal call. SOmething in me told me it was important though.

"Hello?"

"Doc? I hope you remember me, it's Damien." I shot up with my eyes open. He sounded stressed to a breaking point and I could hear a crying baby in the background. "He won't stop crying. I've tried everything. Bottles, rocking, cool cloths, warm cloths. He just won't stop. Help me." 

Now without even knowing Damien Miller well, I knew he didn't ask for help. My curiosity got the best of me and I googled him. He owned one of the largest steel companies internationally. He didn't get there by begging for help.

"Alright, give me your address. I'll come check on Malaki."

"Thank you so much." He gave me the address and I changed into my comfortable moccasins before jumping into my car and heading over. 

***

I lived in a nice house, but this house was gorgeous. It was in a gated commmunity and I was let in immediately, so I assume Damien called ahead. I pulled up to a beautiful spanish style home and I walked up to large front doors. 

I knocked and moments later a frazzled Damien opened the door with a bawling Malaki. I held my arms open for Damien to hand him over and as I pressed Malaki against my chest, his cries lessened slightly. 

I still checked over him and noticed the yellowish tint to Malaki's skin. "He most likely has jaundice. While it shouldn't be too big of  concern, I suggest you take him to the hospital to get him some medicine."

I walked further into the house and sat down on a couch as I rocked Malaki in my arms. He quited down and sucked on his small thumb with his eyes closed. 

I was a little disappointed that I hadn't seen his eyes yet, but I was more happy to have calmed him down. Damien looked relieved as he sat down next to me and he closed his eyes and laid his head back.