A CALL

A few more chapters of SUPPRESSION. I'd say at least five more. The big finale is coming up.

•••

A CALL

It was a night in late May. Nothing special, especially warm and almost humid. I was starting to miss the cold. I was barely sleeping with a thin sheet these nights. Somehow I managed.

It was a good day at school, Gavin and I had made up the week before and were actually holding hands. We didn't even talk much. I had said sorry and that I really liked him. We kissed right there in the hallway and now everything seemed almost good.

But tonight, if I remember correctly, was the 20th of May. No, nothing special at all. I knew no one was sleeping in the house, it was too muggy out for that. I could faintly hear the tv playing in my parents room, the constant rustling and yanking of covers quite prominent in the night. I tried to ignore it and sleep. But none of that was happening tonight.

I would have said it was near three in the morning, judging from the sky. It could have been earlier or later. But three in the morning was my best guess. I was tossing and turning, dreading the coming of a new day where I knew I'd be forced to go to school. I was sure that I'd be skipping gym this morning, if anything I'd skip English as well.

The phone rang, jogging me from my semi-conscious sleep, if you could call it that. I think I might have even been on the verge of having a dream, but that rarely ever happened.

The phone rang and rang and kept ringing until it went to voicemail. It seemed no one was making a move to answer it.

A minute or two later and it rang again. Judging from the loud groan my mom let out, she was now making her way to the phone.

Mom: "Hello?"

Mom's voice was heavy and laced completely with sleep, not that she'd actually been getting any.

Mom: "Julia, what's wrong?"

The heat suddenly left me as I heard Ainsley's mother's name. In its place ice cold fear replaced it.

Mom's voice grew to a low, mumbling whisper that was inaudible to the naked ear. I strained to hear, but I got nothing, but what sounded like a sob. A loud crash soon followed, I heard the clattering of the phone hitting the floor.

I heard dad grunting a bad word as he hurried pass my door and into the living room. Mom's muffled cries pierced the night, dad's soothing voice trying to calm her.

Dad: "What do we tell Freya?"

Mom: "I don't know!"

Mom continued to sob. My heart plummeted, it suddenly felt like a large rock sitting at the bottom of my stomach, making me sick. I didn't want to hear what they said, I didn't want to know.

I pulled my flimsy sheet up over my head and curled into a ball. I felt the tears prick my eyes as my door opened.

Mom: "Freya?"

Mom's voice was so quiet, so fragile.

Me: "No! I don't want to know!"

My voice rasped and cracked, it trembled and shook. But I let the words out, I let them stand as a guard, a shield of sorts to protect me. I didn't want to know.

•••

So what do you think happened? Anyone got a clue?