GIVE SOME AND TAKE SOME

Report cards came over the weekend. I didn't do too hot, but at least I didn't fail any of my classes this time. Mom was angry and dad just shook his head at me. I know they're disappointed in me, but I can't bring myself to care.

Lola's birthday was on Monday, she'd non stop talked about it. She even stole my phone and put her birthday in my calendar. February third was the lovely day she was born, fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago a new millennium was born. If I'm not mistaken, it was the year of the golden dragon. A very special year to be born. I think it's cool that I was born before the millennium, though.

I was going to put thought into her present, but I just stole a twenty from my dad's wallet and decided to make her a card out of some old construction paper. Knowing Lola, like I think I do, she'd be happy with just this, no need to put added effort in.

Monday came around too quick and I soon found myself at lunch, sitting with Lola, Gavin and his friends, Dustin, Owen and Tyson. I'd given Lola her twenty bucks and card early this morning when she bombarded me on the bus. Now at lunch after I picked at my food I was totally spacing out when I heard Evelyn's name flit through my semi conscious mind.

Me: "What about Evelyn?"

Gavin: "I was just asking why we hadn't seen her since the Winter Formal."

Me: "Oh . . ."

That never occurred to me. I thought maybe she'd taken the week off because it was her birthday or something. But she has been gone for a while.

Lola: "Right, the school isn't telling anyone."

Dustin: "Telling anyone what?"

Lola: "Well I heard my math teacher talking about it. She was discussing with another teacher if they should send her her missed work."

Owen: "So what are we not supposed to know?"

Lola: "Her mother died. The teachers are trying to keep it low key. They don't want people bothering Evelyn and her sisters."

Me: "What about her dad?"

Lola: "From what I understand they're divorced because someone cheated or someone wanted to start a new relationship. But the dad is M-I-A, so there is a lot of drama going on."

I hadn't realized Evelyn's life was so . . . bad. Her mother died, her father is out of the picture. I feel awful for stealing Gavin away from her, it must have been the only happiness in her life. But it's not like she hinted that she was unhappy. She seemed so normal, but then again I guess someone could have said that about me.