BOTTOMS UP

BOTTOMS UP

Gavin: "I can't believe you came, although you didn't dress up?"

Me: ". . ."

Gavin: "No worries, it wasn't mandatory. Just glad you could come."

Me: ". . ."

Gavin dressed up as Jason, he had the hockey mask but was lacking the chain saw. I guess he couldn't have brought the chain saw to a party, but his costume was still incomplete.

I guess I realized it was a costume party and I should have dressed up, but I didn't feel like it. Quite frankly the thought of dressing up just seemed to depress me more then the fact that I couldn't even go tricker treating. In the end I showed up in a worn pair of jeans and a shirt with a skull on it.

Gavin: "So, you want a drink?'

Me: " . . . " I nodded.

Gavin: "Here you go."

He handed me the drink in a plastic cup. I took a whiff and immediately knew this wasn't just juice. I shrugged and threw my head back, chugging down all the drink's contents. The liquid burned down my throat and gave me a satisfied sting in my head.

Gavin: "Whoa, maybe you should slow down."

Gavin watched as I chugged down another amber colored drink. His eyes widened as I downed my third cup.

Gavin: "Okay, maybe we should get you away from the keg."

Gavin nervously grabbed my hand and started to tug me away from the keg. We moved through the dance floor that looked suspiciously like the living room until we found a secluded room. There were a few people in here playing beer pong, but we ignored them as we sat down on a red leather couch.

Gavin: "How are you feeling? Do you need some water?"

Me: "Gavin, I'm fine."

Gavin: "No you aren't. You just drank more then the average person does in one day in just an hour."

Me: "I can hold my liquor."

Gavin started laughing at that, nearly spilling his drink. I quickly grabbed it from him and chugged it down. He stared at me wide eyed and gapping mouth.

Gavin: "Well then, I'll just go get another drink. Don't move."

Me: "Yes mom."

I smirked at his shocked face, feeling my playful side surface. I'd been suppressing this side for a while and it felt great to let out.

Gavin just shook his head at me and made his way back to the keg.

I took this as my chance to escape Mr. Buzzkill and fled to the porch. I immediately saw Cassidy jumping on the trampoline with some guys. It was obvious they were high. You could just tell they were completely stoned. That and they were passing a joint around as they jumped up and down. They laughed and tripped over each other.

I slowly walked up to them, waiting for Cassidy to notice me. Once I reached the entrance she glanced at me then completely stopped jumping.

Cassidy: "Freya, you're here!"

She giggled as she got up the trampoline and waved at the two boys. She took a hit from the joint before wrapping an arm around my shoulder and leading us away.

Me: "Can I have a hit?"

Cassidy giggled and handed me the joint. I took it and placed it between my lips, taking a nice long draw from it before blowing the smoke out.

I sighed in relief before handing the joint back to Cassidy. She took it and placed it between her lips once more.

We did this a few more times before I finally felt the affects. The world spun and everything seemed fuzzy. Cassidy tripped over a bottle of beer and fell on her face. I started laughing so hard that I fell too. We both laughed at each other, everything just seemed funny.

Gavin: "No fucking way."

Gavin approached us and yanked me up by my arm. I stumbled and fell into him. I clutched his shirt as I laughed harder. Cassidy tried to get up but fell back down. Everything just got funnier. My head started to pound and suddenly there were three Gavin's.

Me: "Ga-vin, I didn't know you were a triplet."

Gavin: "I'm not."

Gavin narrowed his eyes at us before reaching down and snatching the joint out of Cassidy's hand. He crushed it between his fingers then flicked it away from us.

Cassidy: "Buzzkill."

Gavin: "Let's sober you up."

Gavin wrapped an arm firmly around my waist, trying to lead me back to the house. I kept stumbling and laughing, causing Gavin's hold on me to tighten.

Eventually we reached an empty room and Gavin threw me onto the vacant bed. Suddenly memories started to resurface in my mind. I tried hard to push them back, to shove them down. But her face kept showing up, I could hear her voice. It was ringing in my ears. Yelling--calling for me--help me!

Gavin: "If I knew you were this fun I would have partied with you sooner."

Gavin threw his head back and chugged the contents of his cup.

Her voice kept ringing, kept calling to me. But I pushed it down, I suppressed it. I got up from the bed and set my hands on Gavin's chest. I pushed him down on the bed and slowly crawled onto his lap until I was straddling him. I took his Jason mask off his head and threw it somewhere behind me. His eyes widen as he watched me. His hands came down firmly on my hips, as if to push me off. But he made no move to get rid of me.

Gavin: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Showing you how fun I can be."

This is how she felt, Ainsley.