MORE THEN FRIENDS

MORE THEN FRIENDS

The bell rang for the end of art. I took my time getting up and walking from the classroom. Gavin followed me silently until the bell for science rang.

Gavin: "So where do you go when you skip?"

Me: ". . ."

I wanted to tell him, but I ended up shrugging. I usually use this time to go to the bathroom, so that was out of the question. We could go outside but it was fairly freezing out. I'm in the process of never stepping foot in the library again, because I stole a book and I'm paranoid that an alarm will go off if I step foot in the surrounding area.

Gavin: "Silent as usual then? I guess I'll be doing the talking?"

Me: ". . ."

I shrugged.

Sometimes we have strokes of genius, but most of the time we're passing off other's ideas as our own. So we hid behind the bleachers in the gym while everyone was still in the locker rooms. I'm sure I ripped that ditching location off from some movie.

Gavin: "Won't the gym teacher find us?"

Me: ". . ."

I shrugged. It seemed to be my go to answer now a days.

Gavin: "Freya, I just want to know what's going on with you? I'm kind of getting mixed signals. First it's friend zone, then it's a one nightstand, and then you're avoiding me, but then it goes straight to just ignoring me, then suddenly you're approaching me at the dance, now we're back to avoiding me. You're kind of giving me whiplash."

Me: "Why'd you take Evelyn to the dance?"

It shocked both Gavin and I when actual words spilled from my mouth. My stomach was painfully churning, my jaw felt tight and my throat sore. The words came out a little scratchy and all, but they were there. That's all that mattered, they were there.

Gavin: "I don't know, she asked me and we only met at the dance. It's not like I hired a limo or anything."

Gavin shrugged as if brushing it off, like it didn't mean anything. It meant something to me. Evelyn made it seem like Gavin was her Prince Charming, when in reality it was more like two friends happening to be at the same place at the same time, a coincidence.

Gavin: "Freya, who cares about Evelyn? I'm trying to figure out what's going on with you. And now it seems like you're jealous. Like what the fuck?"

Me: ". . ."

I shrugged.

Gavin: "Back to silence again? I feel like we're going around in circles. I like you, Freya. There, is that straightforward enough for you. I wouldn't have slept with you if I didn't have some feelings and I don't think you would have either."

Me: "I like you."

Gavin: "See, we're getting somewhere now, no more fucking circles."

Me: "So now what?"

My voice was still scratchy and my throat hurt, but it felt nice to have something to say. It felt nice to be able to put some meaning behind words. It didn't matter that my voice shook and I sounded unsure, it mattered that I actually had something to say.

Gavin: "I don't know Freya, I've never done this before. But I guess I tell Evelyn to get rid of any of her delusions and you stop sleeping around."

Me: "Those were rumors."

Gavin: "You mean you didn't sleep with the basketball team?"

Me: "Of course not, Evelyn is a bitch."

Gavin: "Wow, I thought you guys were friends?"

Me: "You're hopeless."

You'd think he might have picked up on the fact that Evelyn hates me. But he is a boy and they seem to be immune to girl problems.

Gavin: "So . . ."

Gavin reached over and grabbed my hand. I couldn't help but to stare at our clasped hands as if I discovered an alien species. It was weird, it was foreign, but it was nice and I liked it.

Gavin: "Now what?"

Me: ". . ."

I shrugged.

Gavin: "Friends? More then friends? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Help me out here?"

Me: "More then friends."

•••

So I did end up adding some romance in, not that this is really romance.