47

Dante

That visit from Shaun lit a fire under Sammy's ass

Literally.

He kept us both down in the gym for another hour, putting more effort into the combos I'd shown him, than I possibly ever had with my father. But it was that intoxicating energy, the type of energy that made me want to do more. The type that damn near knocked me out as soon as I hit the sheets.

And we trained like this every evening until Saturday rolled around.

Regardless of how busy the week was, Sammy still managed to find some time for us. It was the moments in passing when he'd pull me aside for a kiss, that made everything easier to stomach. I wanted more, of course, but I knew it would come after this tournament.

"How are the nerves?" Sammy asked, as he and I held the entrance doors open for the team. I sent him a small smile.

"Could be better. Could always be better."

And I wasn't wrong. My nerves had a way of acting up before a fight... but this was going to be my first time fighting in years. Nervous couldn't begin to describe how I felt.

As we entered the building, I did my best to take in every surrounding. There were fighters all over the place. Some getting photos taken, while others looked to be gearing up for their first fight.

"The novices are up first." Sammy explained to me, as he led us towards a table that had the words Fight Club printed on a card. Some of the young fighters were already stripping down to their shorts in anticipation for what was quickly approaching. "It looks like we might get to watch a round before the veterans are up. Any particular idiot you're interested in?" He asked, leaning over to show me the roster.

I couldn't help but smile as I pointed to Kyle's name.

-

"Look at me." Sammy demanded Kyle's attention, forcing him to rip his eyes away from the ring. "That's Russo in there." He pointed to the man standing in the ring. "I haven't heard much about him but Grayson said Jump In's Gym switched all their training just days prior to today. Regardless of what you think you know, expect the unexpected."

I could see the energy bubbling up in Kyle. Even though he acted uninterested, he had definitely heard Sammy. When his eyes found mine to ask for my own two cents before the fight started, all I could do was shrug.

"I don't have anything to prep you with, but trust yourself... and go kick some serious ass." That made Kyle's smile spread across his face.

"You got it, coach."

Sammy and I remained at our side of the ring, watching as Kyle pulled himself onto the mat. "What are you thinking?" Sammy asked me.

My eyes remained on both fighters, but I was analyzing this Russo kid. He was around the same height and weight as Kyle, yet the way his legs moved as they geared up for the first round, had me nervous.