09

Dante

I didn't want to go home, but I knew Kassie was going to insist on it until I said yes

I didn't want to go home, but I knew Kassie was going to insist on it until I said yes. She even let me know I'd still get paid the full eight hours, which was really sweet of her to do. It was only when I made it home, did I realize that the home I was going back to, wasn't really much of a home at all.

I had yet to get furniture. I told myself that was something I would do as soon as I found the time to. I also wanted to get some fresh paint for the walls, considering I tore most of the wallpaper off. There were water stains all over the corners of the ceiling that I thought I could try to cover up.

Maybe if I painted them, they'd just go away? I laughed at my backwards thinking.

There was a hardware store not too far from here and the bar. Even though this place was a shit hole, I was still grateful that the location was so conveniently close to everything. A car was so not in the question right now. Being sent home today meant I had the rest of this evening and all of tomorrow off since Kassie said the next day I'd be working was Friday. I thought I'd be working with Howard tomorrow, but she told me I should probably take a day to figure out my nose.

"Goddamn it!" I outwardly cursed as soon as a realization hit me.

The ice pack I had meant to grab, was still back at Fight Club.

I'm such an idiot.

I sighed, making the walk of shame into my kitchen as began the desperate attempt of finding something cold to put on my nose. All I had in the fridge at the moment was a bag of food Ben put together for me, and a bottle of water. I could try freezing the water, I thought.

Those thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a loud knock on the door.

I hesitated, honestly wondering who it could possibly be. I hadn't met anyone here yet, and I wasn't expecting anything delivered... plus it was almost approaching ten at night. I felt that all too familiar feeling of my heart quickening in pace. My palms began to sweat uncontrollably.

It... it wasn't him right?

My body stilled first a moment.

No, I told myself firmly. He doesn't know you're here. No one does.

Once I made it to the door, I took a look through the peephole. Who I saw standing across from me was possibly the last person I could ever expect to see here.  Literally. My sweaty hands gripped the knob tight, preparing myself as I yanked it open.

Blonde hair blue eyes was standing in the hallway still in the same workout clothes I had seen him in earlier. He was holding an ice pack in his hand. I glanced down at the ice pack, then back up at him.

"Hi." He spoke first.

"Hi." I replied just a smidge bit too quickly. "What are you doing here?" As soon as those words left my lips, I damn near smacked myself. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that-" blonde hair blue eyes was quick to wave it off.