13

Sammy

I didn't run into Dante for the rest of that week

I didn't run into Dante for the rest of that week. I thought I would see him the next morning Friday for our lunch delivery, but Kassie was the one who stopped by instead.

"Looking good!" She cheered on my novice fighters, as she made her way to the back room. I was working on some bookkeeping there, but Kassie's voice was so loud, it cut straight through the open door.

I knew she was here before she even made it to me. "The kitchen made all your favorites today!" He exclaimed, setting the bags down on one of the counters. The delicious aromas that filled the room was intoxicating.

"Slow day today, huh?" I asked. "I thought you might have made Dante your regular runner."

She quickly shook her head. "No, I mainly sent him here to keep him busy because I didn't want to put him out on the floor while his nose was that swollen. Why would I want to miss stopping by a gym filled with shirtless hot guys hitting each other?"

I chuckled at that. "You know your brother is one of those guys right?"

That made Kassie gag. "You always have to ruin things, Sammy." It looked like she was about ready to get back to work, but I stopped her before she could leave.

"I- uh, I asked Dante if he could take a look at the roof this week. Strangely enough, he knows a lot about that stuff. He agreed, but he informed me he wasn't sure about his schedule yet. I was just wondering if you had that figured out?"

Kassie paused to digest my words. "Since he's in a part time status, the hours will fluctuate. I don't think Howard has him down for this weekend however, if you wanted to enlist his services then." She explained. I nodded slowly.

"Yeah. Do you think you could pass my contact onto him for me?" I asked.

"For sure! I'll let him know that you're free this weekend. He mentioned something about buying a bed today. I know it can be difficult and pricy getting one around here. I was hoping I could help him out but I already gave my spare mattress to Grayson for his new place. That and neither of us really have a vehicle to transport anything with. I just thought I might bring it up because I know you mentioned you had an extra bed when you were moving in upstairs."

I grew silent for a moment, as I processed what Kassie was saying. Unfortunately, things were making a lot more sense now. "Yeah I've still got the spare bed. I wish there was a way I could get it to him, but it took me and three other guys to get it up there to begin with. Just thinking about moving that bed into those apartments on 88th sounds like a hazard for both me and my guys." I explained.

Kassie nodded. "Yeah I remember Grayson bitching about how heavy that thing was. With the way those old apartments are set up, who's to say it won't fall through the floor boards."

I know Kassie had meant that as a joke, but there was some truth to that statement.

"But don't sweat it!" She rushed out quickly. "I'm going to ask a few friends to see if they've got anything, and hopefully we'll get him situated soon. I feel for the guy, ya know? It can be challenging starting out in NYC."