77

The evening was just starting to darken to night time, but the moon was already high over head. Jessa could hear Zira's music. It was almost overwhelming. The clearing was alive with the moon flower glow. But she didn't see any of that and ignored the music.

All Jessa could see was Dhiren waiting for her wrapped in the marriage cloth and the look in his eyes as he takes in her appearance. She catches her breath at the love she sees in his eyes before the darkening skies take away the light.

She locks onto his eyes and smiles as she moves forward. She remembers the first time he heard Zira's music here in this very clearing. How they moved together so perfectly in the dance to celebrate their goddess.

Those memories are far better than the ones of the battle that cost her so much.

She is smiling as she comes to Dhiren's side and takes his hand. She hadn't even noticed that Zira is there in front of them.

She only notices as Zira takes a golden cord and wraps it around their wrists that are together where they are holding hands. The words she speaks are not heard by Jessa, she is too lost in Dhiren's eyes to pay attention to anything else. It is only as Dhiren speaks that Jessa comes back to herself. She then speaks the words that are required of her. Then Zira has them kiss and with that Jessa is recognized as the crowned princess of the elves.

Zira's music swells and Dhiren and Jessa are unable to with hold dancing to it. As they dance the guests and elves watch entranced. As the dance comes to an end Zira steps in. "I'm sorry children, I know that neither of you would like to perform the rites in front of so many. I wouldn't intrude except there are some special guests that would like to speak to you both before they have to leave." 

Jessa and Dhiren look at each other confused before following Zira. Then Jessa catches sight of the one Zira is heading to and she runs ahead of Dhiren. "Nathan!" Dhiren catches her just before she tries to throw herself into Nathan's arms.

"Hello, Jessa. Congratulations to both of you. I have to say, Jessa, it took you far longer than I thought it would. You loved Dhiren from the time you first introduced him to me."

Nathan turns his smile from Jessa to Dhiren, "You are making her happy, thank you prince."

Dhiren shakes his head. "I will always do my best to make her happy, but we are only here today because of your sacrifice. Thank you, Nathan."

Jessa had motioned to Sorsha and she brought her children with her. 

"Nathan, you died before Sorsha could talk to you. Will you talk to her now?" Jessa asks her friend with tears in her eyes.

"Of course, now no tears Jessa. I knew that I was going to die that day. Dying to save you was a small price for me to pay."

"I can never thank you enough, Nathan. I've been trying to do right by you since you couldn't be here to do it yourself." Jessa tells him and that makes Nathan confused.

Sorsha comes forward and moves her children in front of her. She is careful to make sure that they don't touch Nathan. The living must not touch the dead. "Nathan," Sorsha says with tears in her eyes.

"Sorsha," Nathan says smiling brightly when he sees her. "You found someone special and have children now?"

"Nathan, these are your children. I found out that I was pregnant the day you were killed. If you hadn't been killed I was going to tell you the next time I saw you. This is your son, Nathan and your daughter Casey. Children, this is your father. He was given special permission to come and see you." Sorsha had let her children know that their father died saving the life of Jessa and helping to kill the bandits that threatened both the humans and elves.

They are rather bashful at meeting their father but they both say hi. Nathan on the other hand is beyond shocked. "My children. They are beautiful, Sorsha. Thank you."

"They are already in training with Kallen. They are being trained so that they will be the personal guards to Jessa and Prince Dhiren's children." Sorsha tells him proudly.

Nathan wipes his eyes at this news. "I wish that I could hold them even once. I wish I could hug you Sorsha and give you a proper thanks for raising them and loving them. I know it couldn't be easy since they aren't full elven."

Sorsha shakes her head. "Most don't know that they aren't and those that do don't care. Jessa spoils them whenever she's here and Dhiren visits them often as well. The king and queen have taken them in as if they are their grandchildren.

"The hate towards humans is mostly a thing of the past and so it's not nearly as bad as when Jessa grew up."

"Still, to raise two children alone can't be easy. I'm glad the others are willing to help and you, have you given up your spot as the prince's guard?"

Sorsha shakes her head. "I still am part of the guard. Jessa has been working with me and I'm now a much better fighter than I had been. She's almost happy with my fighting abilities." That makes Nathan laugh.

They spend some more time talking about what has happened since his death. Yet it was still hard for them all to say goodbye once more. Once Nathan disappears Jessa turns to Jethro, "Thank you, Jethro. I can't think of a better wedding gift."

"I think you should go and see the Ancient One, he too has a wedding gift for you." Jethro smiles before giving her a hug and leaving as well.

Jessa turns to Dhiren, "Do you know what he's talking about?"

Dhiren is just as lost as Jessa. Nathan was the only one that he'd been told about.

"Shall we find out?" Dhiren holds out his arm and unlike years earlier when she ignored it she takes it and they look for the Ancient gold dragon deity.