59

Jessa allows her thoughts to wonder and does her best to get lost in them to avoid the pain that she is feeling as they travel along. The pain is building but she has no intentions of letting Dhiren know. The sooner they return to Castlerock, the better it will be for her.

Jessa allows herself to remember the night before. After dinner when the families of the five spies come to her. She had been so nervous, unsure what to expect from them.

What she hadn't expected was the smiles as they came to her and hugged her. She hugs them back automatically but is too astounded to do much more than that. Hugs have been few and far between other than her parents and lately Dhiren.

"Thank you for seeing us, princess." The first woman tells Jessa once they all have had the chance to hug her.

"You are certainly welcome, although I'm not sure just why you would like to see me. I didn't even realize that they fought. I was rather occupied with my own fights."

"Yes, the magic users showed us all the fight. That you survived is nearly miraculous. Our children knew that you would need the help and that is why they rushed in. Perhaps it was foolish of them, but we couldn't be prouder of them for being willing to lose their lives to help save our princess's life."

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." Jessa tells them looking more than a little lost at their words.

The one that took on the role of spokeswoman shoots Dhiren a fleeting look before turning her full attention on Jessa.

"You are our princess. They gave their lives in order to help save your life. It was an honor for them to do so. We are just thankful that their sacrifice wasn't in vain." The female shakes her head and so do the others. It truly was miraculous that Jessa survived.

"We just want to thank you for what you did and what you were willing to do. By taking on the bandits alone you were willing to sacrifice your own life to protect the lives of the rest of the elves. Perhaps many would think that foolish, I know that the prince wasn't happy with your choice, but we are thankful."

"You are welcome, all of you, but why are you thankful for my choice?"

"Because, Princess we also have other members in the army and they now will not have to go against the bandits. They, for now, at least are safe. Because of your incredible abilities our families are safe. We suffered the loss of one for the safety of the rest of us. Thank you." 

"My son had the greatest respect for you, Princess." One of the other females spoke up once the first one finished speaking.

The others nod agreeing with her. 

Jessa starts crying, "I'm sorry. I failed them. I should have done better then they would still be alive. I'm sorry. So sorry."

The mothers of those that died look at her shocked. "No, princess. What you did, it was amazing. No other single person could have done as much. We aren't here to blame you in any way. On the contrary, we just wanted to thank you for doing what you did. For making it possible for their bodies to receive the send off and return to Lady Zira."

"All our children admired you for your abilities and how you handled those spoiled brats. You fought so very bravely. We all thank you. We too admire you, how you dealt with those brats, how you never embarrassed them more than necessary although it's very obvious that you were far better than them." They shake their heads. "You are born to be a princess and some day a queen. We are very honored to accept you as our crown princess."

Shortly after that they filter out of the room and Dhiren holds Jessa as she once more cries. Just like the last time when the families of the dead wished to speak to her, she feels the pain from their passing and sadness that she never knew that they liked her.