Chapter 22

Anastasia Rayne

I had never shot more bullets ever in my life. The sound of flying bullets echoed throughout the whole forest disturbing wild animals and bird. We had been running and running for what seemed like hours. Nick had his muscular arm on my shoulder as I helped supporting his weight while I kept glancing back every five seconds to make sure no one caught up to us. It was hard works alright.

" These are Prada. We are definitely coming back for them. Do you understand? " I asked looking at him sternly.

His eyes went down to my feet as I took off the heels I would have died for but not now. I couldn't die today so ditching the heels was a necessity because running in them hurt like a bitch.

" I can buy you more. " he shrugged as we ran passed the shoes with a sad expression on my face.

" Don't act nice now. If we die, I'm going to spend the rest of our afterlife reminding you that this was all your fault. " I grunted as we ran past hundred and hundred of trees without stopping.

" I apologize for not catching the bullet that flew into my shoulder. " he rolled his eyes.

This was it. This was my special moment and my golden ticket out of this mess. I could just kill him and left him here to become wild animals breakfast tomorrow.

But, no. I couldn't do that because apparently my attraction to him didn't stop and only got stronger every other days. And, it pissed me off a little.

" This is your chance to run for your freedom. Go. " he said looking straight ahead into the dark forest.

He had caught me completely off guard. I watched his side profile, his grey eyes shined against the moonlight so brightly I could almost see the light behind its darkness making me wondered how many people those eyes looked into before he sent them to hell.

My eyes lingered on his sharp jawline remembering all the sleepless nights I had spent trailing my finger down the sculptured bone as I watched him slept so peacefully liked a creep I was, wondering what could he and his family have done to make my father hated them so much that he even went above and beyond to create a weapon just to kill them all.

" I can't run. I still have unfinished business here. " I stated the bitter truth not caring if he would suspect me and went back to questioning the hell out of me.

" That was a test and you almost failed. I would have chase you down to the end of the world if that the last thing I would do, Ana. " he said finally turning to face me.

" So, unfinished business huh? Are you still trying to kill us? " he chuckled bitterly.

That felt like a stab straight into my heart. I flinched at his bitter sarcasm. It pained me to know that he still didn't trust me, and I could never blame him because I wouldn't trust me either. But, it still hurt when he threw that right into my face. His family had been nothing but nice toward me. Hell, they were more of a family to me than my father could ever be, making the thought of killing them right disgusted me to core.

" I was here to kill your family, Nick. I admit that. But, now I just want the truth. " I found myself saying. Guilt started to suffocate my senses.

" Truth? " he cocked an eyebrow at me.

" Nothing. Let's go. I see a building a few hundred feet away. We could hide there tonight. " I mumbled tightening his arm around my shoulder as I helped him walked, hoping he would forget what I just said.