Chapter 17

I wanted to scream. Scream at Valentine for having control over my body and mind while in front of my friends and scream at Draco to look at me, to talk to me again. I wanted to reach out to him but I couldn't.

I wanted to talk to Ginny and tell her everything. She was there for me all through my time at Hogwarts and I just got her back, but I couldn't tell her anything. I had to keep to the same script each day:

"I'm marrying Valentine."

"He's an old friend that I reconnected with since I've been back."

"He makes me happy."

"Valentine took me in for a week after the last attack. I'm sorry I didn't tell any of you."

"Please support my decisions."

I rolled my eyes as I sat at the dining table in the Great Hall. Everyone liked Valentine when he was under a transfiguration spell to look like Cirrus, so it was no wonder that it didn't take long for everyone to like Valentine. Everyone was warming up to him, laughing about school moments like they were long lost best friends.

"Dear, what's wrong," Valentine asked, wonder and concern filling his voice and I wanted to move away from him and tell him that this was all wrong. That he can't do this, but I just smiled weakly in response.

"Dear?" He asked again and I looked up, seeing everyone look at me. Everyone except Draco. He was gone, he avoided my gaze every time I tried to catch it and made sure to spend as little time around me as possible. I understood why. I wouldn't want to be around me either if I was in his shoes, but it still hurt.

"I'm fine, just a headache," I answered weakly, waving off everyone's concerned looks.

I caught Ginny's eyes and I knew she didn't believe me. Her face said she did, but there was a glimmer of suspicion in her eyes that only I could see.

I put my hand by my face, covering my face from Valentine's view and mouthed, "talk later."

Valentine poked my hand and I looked over at him, but still kept an eye on Ginny.

Ginny gave a small nod before continuing her conversation with Harry and Hermione about the last attack. They still had no leads or suspects, even though he sat right in front of them.

I wanted to tell them that Valentine was behind it all, but he had gained all their respect and trust. He was throwing hints of the attacks being done by someone who held grudges about the defeat of Lord Voldemort. He was literally spelling it out that a Death Eater was responsible and if they knew his secret, they wouldn't be as friendly and giving up so much about what they knew to a stranger.

Unfortunately, there was already a suspicious glance to a couple of Slytherins. Everyone had their suspicions about a couple Death Eaters and sadly, Draco was one of them.

Everyone turned a suspicious eye to Draco and Pansy.

Valentine shrugged and joined the conversation Ginny, Harry, and Hermione were having. Ron was off talking to some students who were having a difficult time with their classes and coping with the recent events.

I leaned my head on my hand, listening to the conversation and waiting for the day to be over. To have some control over my body and mind, even if it was only for a little bit.