"Sure."

"I can't walk through life with you."

"Is there someone else?"

"There's everybody else," she pointed out.

"Why? We're already standing together and we look great." He tried to pull her in for comparison. "Oh, come on. Work with me here."

"Cory, when guys and girls go out, first they fall passionately in love. Then, after a week, they hate each other. So for one great, passionate week, we'd lose a friendship that could last a lifetime."

Something cold and heavy formed in Juliet's stomach at the other girl's words. We'd lose a friendship that could last a lifetime. The redhead glanced at the boy next to her, the one whom she held sudden, strong feelings for. Maybe it's really better if it we never happen, she thought, I'd rather have him as a friend forever than lose him after a week.

Her thoughts must've shown on her face because Shawn gave her a concerned look. "You alright, Julie?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, fine," she answered absentmindedly as she pushed away a stray lock of hair that had fallen into her face. "Just thinking is all."

"Maybe do what I do and don't think," he tried suggesting helpfully. "It keeps me pretty happy."

"I think that only works for you," she admitted. "Though I might actually give it a try one of these days."

His expression grew even more worried. "Are you really sure you're alright?"

"Yep, yep. Just a phase, y'know. It'll pass." Even she didn't believe her words.

"You'd tell me if something's really bothering you, right?" Shawn checked as he looked down to study the redhead's distant expression.

She seemed to shake herself out of whatever she was thinking about and smiled reassuringly at him. "'Course, Shawnie. Thanks."

The boy nodded in acceptance although he still looked suspicious, but was interrupted by Cory's return. "For the record, I dumped her."

"That's how I saw it," he said agreed, though he hadn't actually paid attention.

🌎🌎🌎

"Well, Dubin's out sick again," the dark-haired boy observed as they entered their Health class.

"Health teacher's sick again? Not a lot of credibility."

"Substitute day seven," Juliet sighed, wondering what kind of other teacher they'd get.

Her thoughts were answered by a very pretty woman walking into the class that left both boys gaping after her. "Wow."

"That is no substitute. That is the real thing," Shawn commented in awe.

"Good afternoon, class. I'm Miss Kelly and I'll be filling in for Mr. Dubin for the next few days," the new teacher announced.

"On behalf of the entire class, I'd like to say stay as long as you like," Shawn spoke up hopefully as he stood.

Miss Kelly ignored him. "Now, it seems like you're covering—"

"CPR and I'm today's dummy," Shawn interrupted her.

"Yes, you are," Juliet mumbled.

"Actually, we seem to be up to human reproduction which I hope we can discuss in a mature fashion."

The class giggled (minus Juliet), causing Shawn to turn to them. "Oh, stop being so young. You know, I'm not as young as they are. I've stayed back, like, fifty times."