Chapter 20: Sleepover Pt. 2

Meanwhile...

At Kuroo's house
"Sorry for intruding..."

Kageyama stood at the entrance of Kuroo's house, not knowing where to go first. It was his first time going to a friends' house other than Hinata's.

"Don't just stand there, come inside." Kuroo was curious on why Kageyama just stood at the doorway.

"Umm... You know this is just Hinata's idea of going out right? You could say something if you don't want me to be here..." Kageyama was awkward that he would be staying at Kuroo's house because they rarely talk to each other except the time when they worked together with the plan and failed terribly.

"Even if that is so, I can't jast kick you out right? Those two will definetely kill me of I did that! Other than that, if I kick you out where would you stay?"

"Umm... That... I... didn't thought about that...yet..." Kageyama felt embarrassed for saying things like he could handle everything himself but in reality he haven't thought of what to do yet.

"*Chuckles* Is that so? Then the only place you could stay is here right?" At first Kuroo thought that Kageyama was just as the rumors say, 'the King of the Court', and wouldn't listen to people other than himself because he thinks he is the only one that could let people to have the opportunity to win, but turns out he is just like any other teenage boy.

"Then...I'll be in your care..." Kageyama felt the need to just smash his head on the wall for what he just did but he didn't because he was sure that the person in front of him is going to tease him for that.

"No need to be this formal okay? My parents aren't home anyways, just let yourself at home~" After that, Kuroo showed him where he'll be staying for the night which is the guest room right across his before going to take a bath.

Kageyama lay down on the bed after putting down his stuffs. Finally lying on a soft bed, Kageyama felt very comfortable and fell asleep from tiredness and stress from what happened just two days ago. However, he wasn't able to get a peaceful sleep right away.

He had a dream where his teammates in middle school who he cared about leaving him behind because they can't stand his attitude. He was alone, he felt very lonely back then. He was only using the excuse of it being other's weakness for abandoning him to get through.

Until he met Hinata again on the volleyball court at Karasuno High. Despite the utter defeat given to Hinata by his team, Hinata was kind and friendly to him but was especially competitive with him.

This made Kageyama felt like he was not alone anymore. Hinata was the one who brought him out from the darkness. However, as much as Kageyama wants to be with Hinata, Hinata only thought of him as a partner and best friend.

Then, the scenario in the dream change into the infirmary, the time where Kuroo and him were confronted.

Kageyama was being quiet the whole time until he walked out when the whole incident happened. But in reality, a lot of thoughts was going through his mind.

"What do I do now? Now Hinata knows that I was the one who planned this, he's gonna hate me! I-I don't want that! I don't want to go back to that darkness..." Kageyama thought as the memory of his middle school teammates leaving him behind and the loneliness he had felt it that darkness.

This continues with him running out the infirmary because he's scared to know what Hinata would say. He would rather avoid him as to not hear what Hinata has to say. Even if the relationship they had has lots of cracks, as long as the words are not heard, he would rather maintain it the way it is despite the cracks.

He was planning to be careful as to not meet Hinata during the practice game but he just wasn't careful enough because of the overwhelming thoughts of despair he had.

However the outcome change for the worst. Instead of being able to have the chance to be Hinata's friend again, he was left behind again.

"I-I don't wanna talk about it! Hinata... There's nothing to talk about. Everything that had happened is as the pictures Kenma has..."

"You're right, there's nothing to talk about. I'm just here to tell you that I'm disappointed in you cause you only treated me well just because you like me. You would have just leave me there like that if you weren't right? That would make your life more peaceful instead of having the annoying me barge into your life right? " Tears was sliding down Hinata's face as he was saying that.

Kageyama was shocked when what Hinata said was not what he had heard before.

"W-wait! Hinata I would never do that! You-you were the one who saved me-" Kageyama was starting to panic, one of his worst fears is happening and he tries to explain but was cut off by Kenma as he hugs the crying Hinata.

"Shut up. You've already hurt Shoyo more than you can...or are you trying to say that it wasn't your fault and was just because of people's weakness huh? Just like what you did in middle school right? From now on, leave Shoyo alone and never to come close to him ever again." Kenma said in a cold tone.

Kageyama was not able to do or say anything. It was like the end of the world for him. Then the scenario in front of him slowly fades away as darkness consumes him.

"No! I don't want to be alone in the darkness again! Please...just please... I don't care who is it... Just don't leave me..."

Kageyama may looked sturdy on the outside but actually he was just only holding up with bandages around and scars all over his body. Tears came flowing out from the sleeping Kageyama as he cries for help.

Kuroo just came out of the bath and didn't see Kageyama anywhere in the house so he decides to check his guest room to tell him to take his bath. When he was about to call Kageyama, he saw Kageyama sleeping.

He was just about to close the door when he heard Kageyama mumbling something while tears flowed out from his eyes.

"No! I don't want to be alone in the darkness again! Please...just please... I don't care who is it... Just don't leave me..."

Kuroo was shocked as it was his first time seeing Kageyama this vulnerable. He felt like he saw a boy with scars and bandages all over his body and was on the verge of breaking down.

Kuroo's hand was already on top of Kageyama's head patting him and comforting him by the time he realize.
He was about to take his hand back when the boy in front of him hugged his arm.

Kageyama felt something warm from within the darkness he was in and decided to latch onto it. Soon enough, Kageyama was finally able to properly fall asleep without any disturbance.

Kuroo seeing Kageyama slowly falling asleep, thought that he should not disturb him so he stayed there for a while and wait for a chance to take his hand back without waking him up.

During the time where Kuroo was still beside Kageyama, Kuroo realised that this was the second time that he felt the need to protect someone other than Kenma.