Best Partners

3rd POV

While Lucy relaxes in her apartment by taking a bath, Cana suddenly shows up in her tub. Cana asks Lucy about her father and looks quite troubled. When Lucy offers her help, Cana states that she's thinking of quitting the guild.

In the guild the next day,

Lucy: "Can you believe that! I mean I thought Cana was in Fairy Tail for life, I tried to get her to tell me why but she wouldn't say"
Mirajane: "I wouldn't worry about it. She always talks about quitting whenever this time of year rolls around"
Lucy: "Say what! Oh no is something bad gonna happen!"

Later, Natsu and Happy show up, take a job and then leave,

Lucy: "Hey if you're going on job take me with you!"
Natsu: "Its solo mission season. Sorry"
Happy: "We will hang out with you, when we get back"

Natsu suddenly collides headfirst into Gray. Both of them start arguing,

Gray: "You better watch where you're going you pink-haired freak"
Natsu: "And you better stay out my way, Mr. Grumpy Panties"
Happy: "Do you guys really have time to stay around and argue"
Natsu/Gray: "Yeah good point"

Soon enough, Gray and most of the guild are scrambling over each other taking on jobs and fighting each other over job requests, making Lucy curious.

Meanwhile, Carla demonstrates her ability of Precognition to Wendy and Lisanna.

Lisanna/Wendy: "You can see into the future ?"
Carla: "Yes, a trait that the Exceed Queen and I share. Both of us were blessed with the rare gift of clairvoyance, I wasn't aware of it until recently but I have a small degree of control over it"
Wendy: "Wow that's totally amazing"
Lisanna: "So can you tell me which guy is going to be my future husband ?"
Carla: "I'm afraid I'm not able to see that far ahead but maybe something sooner"

While Erza, Panther Lily (in his full form) and Puss (in his human form) have a short sparring match.

Kinana: "Hey guys you shouldn't be doing that indoors!"
Erza: "Had enough"

As if on cue both Panther Lily and Puss transform into their respective smaller Exceed forms.

Panther Lily: "It seems I can't stay in my original form for very long"
Puss: "Talk about it" *slings arm across Lily's shoulder* "Still your blade skills are top notch señor Lily"
Erza: "I agree with Puss over there"
Panther Lily: "Both of you flatter me. I think I should be the one complimenting you both"
Gajeel: "What do you think Erza my cat is a force of nature ain't he!"
Panther Lily: *looks at Erza* "I assume this is what the guild refers to as an S-class skill level" *looks at Puss* "And the Swords-Cat of Fairy Tail"

Meanwhile Lucy is watching this with Mirajane who is cleaning plates,

Lucy: "I don't understand why so many people are freaking gung-ho about going out on jobs while everyone else is just goofing off like nothing's happening"
Mirajane: "It will all make sense to you tomorrow"

Indeed, the next day, every Fairy Tail Mage gathers in the guild for the Master's important announcement, everyone is anticipating what will be the announcement when the curtain rises from the stage revealing Master Makarov, Erza, Mirajane and Gildarts.