Heart(less)

22

Two Years Ago

Piper

I open the curtain connected to the dressing room and walk out to show off my latest outfit. "What do you think?" I ask with a smile.

Delilah looks me up and down and purses her lips out in a way that oddly reminds me of my mom. I roll my eyes because I already know she's about to disagree in my choice of clothing. "The skirt is too short." She swallows and I cock my head to the side because she's still staring at my bare thighs. "It's going to get too much attention—"

"I can see that." I frown and close the curtain to try on the dress.

I can hear Delilah sighing outside the curtain and I say, "Why did you come if you didn't want to. I could have invited Lily—" I pause. "—or Jacob."

"Your boyfriend has no sense of style." Delilah snarls behind the curtain as I slide the dress up my body. "—and." She pauses. "I wanted to hang out with you—alone."

I open the curtain and I walk toward her and turn around to display my naked back.

"Zip me?" I ask.

"Sure." Delilah replies and her shaky hands touch my skin delicately. I inhale softly and the zipper slides up easily. I turn and do a cute twirl. Delilah's eyes shine brightly and she gives me a nod of approval. "It's cute."

"Cute?" I frown and storm back into the dressing room. "I don't want just—cute."

"Why not?" Delilah questions behind the curtain. "We're going to the annual town festival like we do every year." She pauses. "You don't want to be uncomfortable at the fire-work show."

I pull the curtain back and when I walk out this time Delilah stops mid-rant and eyes me up and down. I chose a jean skirt and a silky V-neck sleeveless blouse that I'm sure showed too much cleavage but if I throw on a jacket, I'm sure mom won't notice a thing. Delilah opens her mouth and then closes it. I turn around with a smirk and close the curtain back. We head to the checkout and then walk the town for food.

We settle for one of Sam's favorite BBQ spots and grab a table. Delilah and I talk like old times and I'm glad that it's not awkward between us. Delilah naturally throws her arm behind my chair and I scoot closer into her. We laugh as we people watch and whisper jokes to each other. It's a perfect day until—

"I've been meaning to tell you something." Delilah starts.

"Tell me." I sit up straight because whatever Delilah wants to tell me seems serious. I swallow wondering if it's about the almost kiss—wondering if she feels the same as me. The anticipation builds up and Delilah opens her mouth but we're interrupted.

"Oh shit, what's up Piper." It's Aiden. I frown. "—and hopefully, my soon to be wife." He winks toward Delilah and it makes me puke in my mouth.

Delilah looks as pissed and annoyed as me. "I'm starting to hate how small this town is—"

"—oh." Aiden takes a seat at our table. He cocks his head to the side and eyes the two of us curiously. "Was I interrupting?"

"Clearly." Delilah snaps and my hand instinctively drop to her thigh, squeezing.

"I thought you and Jacob were supposed to chill today—" Aiden trails off. "He told me you changed plans at the last minute—that you were busy."

"She's clearly busy." Delilah clenches her jaw and I jump into the conversation before Delilah snaps.

"Girl time." I tell Aiden. "We've been out shopping for the fire-work show."