I'm Definitely Not Fine

14

Delilah

Present

Piper immediately meets me where I tell her too. She's wearing a thin shirt and shorts over her bathing suit. I grab her hand and turn on the flashlight and we begin to walk a dark trail. Piper sticks close to me because she's afraid.

"Are you still afraid of the dark?" I question, amused.

"I'm not afraid of the dark." Piper retorts looking around suspiciously. "I rather not be walking the woods at night—that's how every scary movie starts."

"Who do you think would die first?" I question with a chuckle.

"You, of course." Piper replies and I look at her in mild shock.

She snickers, "You love everyone too much. You'll sacrifice yourself for sure to make sure we all make it to safety."

I roll my eyes, "I guess I get your point but if I was a selfish soul, I would definitely vote Jayden as the first one to die—"

"—Delilah." Piper chastises me. "Do you have to be so dark."

"Oh, whatever." I pout. "You love my dark side."

Piper shakes her head and nudges me. "How long do we have? Seriously, where are we going?"

"Shush." I tell her. "You'll attract all the wild animals. Rumor has it that there is a hunting dog that roams these trees at night. Apparently, he eats humans too—"

Piper rolls her eyes and tries to look unaffected, but I turn my head to see her looking around in fear and the fact that something howls nearby doesn't help the case. She nearly jumps onto my back. "I wanna turn back." She whispers.

"Chill out." I chuckle. "I was just playing—I promise."

Piper pushes me playfully and I grab her hand instead. "You were right earlier." I tell her after a beat. "I would sacrifice myself for you—you have nothing to worry about, Piper. I promise."

Piper gives me a weak smile, so I put a little pep in my step. We were almost there, and I didn't want her to miss out on so much fun. We make it to a wooden fence, and I pull myself up and over it. I then unlock it from the inside. Piper walks through the gate and looks around suspiciously before her eyes widen, "Woah." She says.

"Cool, right?" I question.

There is a huge white mansion but what really catches our attention is the pool that sits on the outside. However, it's not a typical pool. It has multiple different slides connected to it making it look like a miniature water park. I pull Piper forward and we both discard our clothing. I chew on my lip when I turn to see that she decided to wear the more revealing two-piece that I missed the first day we all went shopping.

I swallow.

She gives me a wicked smile before diving elegantly in the water. I watch her gracefully swim beneath the water before coming and moving her blonde tresses from her face.

My mouth suddenly becomes dry.

"Are you coming?" She questions pulling me from my trance.

I hurry and remove the rest of my clothes and jump into the pool. She giggles when water splashes everywhere. We swim over to the ladder and climb the stairs up the five-foot twirling slide. We go several times—backward, forward, all types of ways and even use the floats nearby. Finally, after some time we swim over to the edge and relax on the steps in exhaustion.