The Unwanted Guest

17

Delilah

Two Years Ago

I'm left alone with my thoughts as Piper leaves me to myself to get ready for her—guest. I frown. I'm not sure how I feel about the conversation we just had. I wish there was an easier way to all of this—I wish things could go back to normal but unfortunately, it seemed as if our friendship will never be the same—no matter how hard the two of us will try to pretend.

I glance at my phone and open the message thread to Nicole—she is keeping her promise and giving me space to think about what I wanted to do and honestly, I hated the fact she is giving me space—I miss her. I want to call her and listen to her voice but I know it wouldn't be fair. I need this time to think.

"Delilah?"

I don't turn because I know it is Lily.

"Miranda is looking for you." She comes and stands next to me. "What are you doing?"

I huff, "I did as you said and had the conversation with Piper."

Lily takes a seat next to me and her eyes widen in surprised—yeah, I never listen to her—I'm not shocked that she's shocked. "Did you tell her? She didn't look mad in the kitchen—"

"—I didn't get a chance to tell her everything." I cut Lily off. "We had a conversation about the almost kiss."

"Oh."

"Yeah oh."

"You look sad." Lily whispers. "Why?"

I huff again. "She said that she only wanted to kiss me to experiment—"

"Wow." Lily scowls. "That's low—why would she use you like that?"

I shake my head and frown, "She is lying."

"How do you know?" Lily pushes cocking her head to the side confused. "Or is this your conceited side talking?" She nudges me playfully trying to get a laugh out of me but it's not working.

"I know her." I tell Lily. "She rambles when she's lying—she's into me. I can tell."

"Oh."

"Yeah oh."

There's a moment of silence and both Lily and I stare at the peaceful water.

"—and you're in love with her."

It's not a question and I'm not sure why it makes me angry.

"Maybe—I don't know." I frown. "It doesn't feel right, Lily. It's not right. We can't be together."

Lily furrow her eyebrows confused again. "Why not—is it because of Nicole?"

I shake my head. "No. It's not because of Nicole. It's because I'm not good enough—I will break her, Lily. She's so naïve and careless when it comes to her feelings and she thinks our relationship will be as perfect as our friendship and it won't. I don't want to be the person to disappoint her, Lily." I pause. "—and I don't ever want Miranda to hate me."

"Miranda will never hate you." Lily replies.

"She will. She hates Rose." I argue. "I don't want to be in the company of Miranda when I break her perfect little girl heart—"

"She'll kill you for sure." Lily replies. "But she will never hate you, Delilah." Lily pauses. "And you should give Piper more credit. She's been your friend for a very long time—I think she'll be able to handle you, Delilah."