Until Next Time

21

Lily

Present

"Crush." It's such an infantile word, it makes me shudder just to even think about it but—I'm crushing hard and there is nothing I can do to stop this feeling. June is currently sitting at the table eating breakfast—her dark black hair is pulled up into a high ponytail. The others are still asleep. One of the things June and I had in common is we're early risers. The adults are still gone so this morning is particularly quiet and I didn't know the right way to ask June out so, of course, I just blurt, "Do you want to go to the animal skeleton exhibit." I fumble over my words. "—um. It's out in the city so it'll be an hour's drive, maybe longer, depends on traffic—" I ramble.

June hand rest on top of mine and I blush before chewing on my bottom lip. "I would love to join you."

I have to mentally force myself to not jump for joy however, I cannot stop the huge smile that breaks out. June smiles match mine and she hurries and stands—almost knocking over her plate. She blushes, "Um—I'll be ready in twenty."

"Awesome." I blurt with excitement and then desperately try to channel my smooth sister. I clear my throat. "I mean um—cool. I'll meet you downstairs in twenty."

June is always prompt when it comes to—time. She's never late or early but always right on time. She's perfect. She descends the stairs and—wow, how can someone look so gorgeous in the morning sporting a designer shirt and shorts.

Thankfully, I listened intently on all of Miranda lessons about being able to put articles together when you didn't have much to work with—I decided to wear a Moschino graphic shirt with dark skinny jeans and Gucci flash trek sneakers. June eyes me intently and I smile to myself knowing I've caught her attention.

I send Delilah a quick text and we are in the car and heading to the city. The car ride is peaceful and June stares out the window and watches the trees go by while humming to the latest hits. We make a pit-stop for coffee before getting on the main highway and the caffeine makes her very talkative because she's rambling about everything but I don't mind because it's cute. It's always difficult to get her to talk and she's usually a tea person but I wonder if she chose the coffee purposely.

June scowls as she tells an embarrassing story about her parents terrorizing her, "—I hate surprises."

I chuckle and continue to focus on the road even though I want to sneak a glance at her irritable face expression. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with your parents throwing you a surprise party, June. It's very thoughtful."

I sneak a glance to see June rolling her eyes and taking another sip of her piping hot coffee, she swallows unaffected, and then replies, "It was thanksgiving break—there was absolutely no reason to throw a welcome-back party." June explains. "How would you feel if you walked into a dark home and strangers screamed surprise at you—they nearly gave me a heart attack, it was embarrassing."

I laugh at the memory. "It was funny to watch—" I slip. "You should have seen your face."

"I bet I looked terrified because I was—wait what?" June narrow her eyes my way. "You weren't there."

I give June an oopsie look before focusing back on the road. I turn up the music, "Oh. I love this song."

"Lily." June says my name in a warning tone and turns the music off completely. I pout because I did love MØ. "Fine." I pause. "Don't freak out on me but—your mom created this June album online and she posted the video."