Chapter 3 - Four Years Later

Start from the beginning

"Natsu! Are you okay?" I asked him quietly. He nodded but he still had an angry expression on his face.

---------------
TIME-SKIP 3 OCLOCK
----------------
No ones P.O.V
---------------

Natsu walked Lucy home and just as she was about to open the door her Father opened it. His eyes were red and he looked like he'd been crying.
Lucy gasped. "What's wrong Father?" She said hugging him.

"I-I-It's your Mother. She was rushed into hospital this afternoon. We have to go one to see her."

"What about Natsu?" Lucy asked her Dad.

"I think it's best that he came too." He said.

As Lucy's father drove the car to the hospital, Lucy and Natsu were in the back.

Lucy began to wonder what's wrong with her mum. Was she going to die? Lucy began to cry.
Natsu saw Lucy crying and held her hand and squeezed it to comfort her. She looked up at him with watery eyes.

"Thank you." She mouthed to him.

The whole journey Natsu held onto her hand.

---------------
AT THE HOSPITAL
---------------
Natsu P.O.V
---------------

Mr. Heartfilia ran to the desk with me and Lucy trailing after him.

"Excuse me! Where's Layla Heartfilia's room?" He asked the woman urgently.

The woman's eyes widened. "Oh Yes Sir! Ermm just down the hall and to the left!"

We didn't even have time to thank her before we bolted down the hall where the woman told us to go.

Lucy went to the door first and put her hand on the door knob. She looked round at me, still holding onto my hand, and I squeezed her hand again and gave her a reassuring smile. she slowly turned the handle and peeked in. I couldn't see in the room, but I could see her face change. Her mouth opened up and her eyes widened.
'This wasn't going to be good.' I thought to myself.

I stepped in and seen Layla for myself. I tried to hold back my gasp. She looked dead lying on the bed. Her body was pale and her cheeks were hollow. The only thing proving she was alive was the slow rising of her chest and the beep of the heart monitor.

Lucy ran over to her side dragging me along too.

"Mum?" Lucy asked. I could see her eyes tearing up.

Her mums eyes fluttered open and a small smile formed on her face. "Lucy. I want you to be brave 'Kay."

Lucy nodded while sniffling.

"You too, Natsu." Layla added. I nodded my head and squeezed Lucy's hand again.

"Both of you, I'm not going to be here much longer. I have a rare disease that acts fast and is unnoticeable to doctors until it's too late." Her mum took in a deep breath before continuing. "Lucy I know this is hard for you, but I'll always be watching you from the clouds and I'll always be proud of you no matter what! Always remember that." Layla took Lucy's hand in her own weak one and brought it up to her lips and kissed it. "I'll always love you and I'll be in your heart as long as you remember me."

Lucy could hold her tears back any longer. "Mum please don't leave me! I don't want you to go!" Tears were streaming down her face now.

"I know baby. But there's nothing else the doctors can do." She pulled Lucy into a weak embrace. "Lucy can you go get some tissues from the bathroom for me. Take your Father too." Lucy ran out with her Dad.
"Natsu I want you to do something for me." Layla said to me and I nodded.

"When I'm gone I know Lucy will keep herself in her room and cry. I want you to promise me you won't abandon her, stay by her side. I don't know how her Father, Jude, will handle this. If he tries to blame Lucy or take out his anger on Lucy at all, in any way as soon as you are old enough I want you to take Lucy away from here."

I nodded trying to process what she just told me. "Okay I promise."

She smiled at me. "I always wished Lucy would get a friend like you. I hope she'll marry someone like you one day."

I blushed. "But there's no-one like the all great Natsu Dragneel apart from him himself!" I boasted.

"Exactly." Was all she said. I didn't understand what she meant at the time.

--------------
Lucy's P.O.V
--------------

I ran back to the hospital room with a bunch of tissues, my Dad trailing behind me. I burst into the room and looked at my deathly pale mother. I used some of the tissues to wipe my eyes.
I went over and stood beside her fragile body and took her hand in mine. The tears wouldn't stop. I lay by head next to her body and weeped. Her long blond hair was tickling my face so I sat up to push it away. It was the first time I'd really noticed she had her hair down because my mother never had it down, she always had it in a sophisticated hairstyle.

"Your hair is very pretty." I say sniffling.

"It's a shame I never kept it down so that's a lesson for you!" She said smiling.

"Okay." Was also could say.

My mothers heart monitor started going slower and slower. I gasped and hugged her tight.

"I love you!" I said, "I'll always remember you in my heart!" My tears were going like rivers.

"As I, you, my daughter." She hugged me back.

Her heart monitor was going slower and slower still.

"Natsu. Remeber." She called over my shoulder before she went limb in my arms.

Then the soul-shattering sound of the heart monitor rung in my ears.

---------------
A/N: Sorry it took a bit longer to write this than I thought and then I like totally got side-tracked because t was SNOWING!! And it's not snowed this much since like 2 years ago. But I actually hate snow at the same time cuz it's freezing and whatever.... But you know I'm really weird and stuff so one minute I'm like "OMG SNOW YAY" and then I could be like "OMFG WHY IS IT SNOWING GO AWAY!!" So yeah I'm gonna stop talking now....