Chapter Five- Betrayal

Start from the beginning

I whipped out my metal extendable bo staff, knocking a trooper off the catwalk in the process. Extending it to its full length, I jammed the bo staff between the chinks in the chest armor of a trooper, and charged my electricity through it. The trooper let out a scream of pain as he was electrocuted, and I moved on to the next trooper.

"Batgirl!" I called to my friend, "Maneuver seven!"

Batgirl bent over and cupped her hands for me in compliance. I stepped onto her hands and she launched me onto another catwalk higher up, where my electric energy took out the troopers shooting at Robin and Finch.

Below, Aquaman and Black Manta were having an all-out death battle, and La'gaan was having some trouble with the krolotean's mechs.

But then something very strange started happening.

The Manta troopers were retreating back to their flyer.

My hand flew to the comm in my ear, "Nightingale to Delta Squad, they're retreating! Requesting back-up immediately!"

Two red lasers shot through the wall of the cave, stopping a mech in its tracks. A few seconds later, Superman appeared with Superboy, followed by Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, and Hawkwoman.

I couldn't help but smile as I flew over to join my mentor.

"Need some help?" I asked Shayera as she blocked a laser with her mace.

"Maybe," she said with a matching grin.

Flying at the same speed, we charged at two mechanisms that stood side-by-side. She charged up her mace and I charged up my staff. She ripped off the roof of her mech, and I let my electricity fry the mech into disrepair.

A loud clanking sound and a louder-than-necessary gasp from Finch caused me to look down at the fight below.

No.

No.

No...

I felt my wings falter, and Hawkwoman's strong grip on my arm, but that was all. The scene in front of me had nearly numbed me to the core.

Black Manta was Kaldur.

He'd told me about his father, but I had no idea that he'd join him!

Aquaman didn't know what to say either, "I had not believed Nightwing until this moment," He said in a voice that I could barely hear. Wait a minute, he didn't believe Nightwing!?!?!?

"You did not want to believe!" Kaldur accused. He seemed to be avoiding looking in my direction as Shayera helped me land on a nearby catwalk next to Nightwing.

"You knew?" I immediately snapped at him before Shayera could hold me back

My brother took a step back, "I didn't tell you-"

"YOU KNEW!?!?!?" I yelled at him, not wanting to hear the rest of his reply. I jumped off the catwalk and landed next to Superboy, who had joined Lagoon Boy and Aquaman in confronting my dearest friend.

"How could you betray us?" Connor asked, hurt lacing his voice.

"You dare question me?" Kaldur yelled in a tone I'd never heard him use before. His constant glare was new as well, and I did not like it.

"After all of you let Tula die!"

I snapped. With what strength I had left, I shot at Kaldur with my electricity. I felt tears sting my eyes and I desperately attempted to stop them. I would not give him the satisfaction of having hurt me.