Artificial Earth

CHAPTER 06

50

There is silence where hath been no sound. There is a silence where no sound may be. In the cold grave, under the deep, deep sea.
--- Thomas Hood

Strike Team Earth
Earth's Temporary Outpost

SGT. MEYER AND HIS MEN SAT ALONG SIDE ONE ANOTHER amongst an assortment of tall trees just outside the forest. Darkness was fast approaching and the sun sank lower and lower out over the horrizon. Nocturnal creatures started slowly rising from their slumber, an owl perched on a tall pine tree made hooting noises, somewhere in the distance a wolf was baying, it's lonely cry echoing all throughout just as nightfall crept closer. A bonfire was lit at the center where the soldiers sat, it's light creating various shapes to shadows casts. The men were quiet and were savouring the heat emmiting from the fire, the cold wind blew about, carrying and scattering the fumes from the fire high above the tree lines, dissolving it to nothingness.

One of the commandos, a young rough looking fella with a tattoo of a snake coiled around a skull on his left arm sat at the edge of the clearing, a feet away from the group near the high grass. He was sharpening a piece of wood he picked up earlier along the way with his knife, leaving thin strips of it on the ground. The others were oblivious of him, sunk in their own thoughts and distractions which doesn't really bother him at all. He was used to being alone. Even though he grew up in a large family, with four sisters and three brothers, he often kept to himself, not really participating in games or other activities.

After sharpening the piece of wood, he took a moment to examine his handywork and after being satisfied, he tucked it inside one of the pockets of his fatigue. He then stood up and walked towards the high grass. The tall thin blades of grass parted as he weaved his way through, several small insects scattered as he pushed forward, deeper and farther from the group. He unzipped his trousers and was about to pee when he heard movement behind him, startling him. Before he could completely turn around, something huge leapt at him, throwing him to the ground. The commando, disoriented and still reeling from the impact tried to stand to regain his equilibrium but failed and fell again. Suddenly something was on top of him, something enormous, It's weight crushing him, pinning him down. Everything was happening too fast and all at once.. The commando felt pain on his shoulders, something sharp, tearing skin and bones, ripping, blood oozed out, hot, flowing freely like a fountain. His blood. Realizing this, the commando felt something he thought he'd never feel again...fear. The thought of one's demise broke his daze, adrenaline rushed through him, forcing him into action. Power surged in him. The commando knew he was pinned but both his arms and hands were still free, he felt for his gun...it wasn't there! It must've fallen....desperate, he groped for the only thing he could use, the wood he sharpened. The odds were against him but he still had hope. He grasped the wood, directed the sharp point towards the shadow in front of him and thrusted it. Immediately pain shot through his entire arm, his shoulder is halfly torn off, the point of the wood hit It's target but wasn't strong enough to create damage.
The jaw of the beast went for the commandos neck, It's large sharp teeth piercing flesh bore deep, the commando's screams were muffled and drowned out, his pupils moving upwards as he agonize for every breath of air. Adrenaline and power were just not enough to defeat this monster.

----------------------------------------------------------

AT THE CAMPSITE, EVERYONE WAS ABOUT TO get ready to retire for the evening. Sgt. Meyer was already inside his tent and was fast asleep. The jungle was quiet as it always had been except for insects, animals and creatures that prowl the night.
Two commandos were huddled behind a tall thick tree on gaurd duty just a few feet from the bonfire. They were both well built, muscular yet not quite men yet, rookies. Artificial Earth's defense force requires young males and females ages sixteen to twenty-one for military training and service. After a grueling six months of training the new recruits were to serve for a duration of two years in different departments of the military. Though this mandate was approved by the council, most parents weren't so keen on the idea. The newbies were mixed with the veterans who forms the elite teams for experience.

"Bro...Got a gum or candy or something?" asked the young commando with the red bandana.
"Here, knock yourself off..." the other commando replied, handing him several mint candies.
"Geez ....really dude? Mint candies? Where did you get these babies? Can't find any of these on the local store."
"Have some friends smuggling in a few minor stuff....Sometimes they give hand outs."
"Nice."
"Yeah, they're cool. Just keep this between us okay?"
"No problems here."
"What's with the red bandana anyway, never saw you on any mission without it?" asked the other commando.
"My mom gave it to me as a goodluck charm before I got drafted."
"I don't believe in superstitions...or luck." the other commando said.
"Neither do I, but hey, If it makes my mom happy then I figure It's okay...and it looks good on me, makes me look like a badass."
"Yeah right." the other commando replied with heavy sarcasm.

"Hear that?" the commando who handed the candies asked,suddenly alert, rising to his feet, listening intently for any further noises.
"What?" the other commando asked, standing up.
"Heard something..." the commando said, walking a few paces towards the dense vegetation.
"Probably just a deer or something.."
"Nah, that was no deer.."
"Okay now you're scaring me.."
"Something's out there."
"This is the jungle bro, of course something's out there." the commando with the red bandana argued.
"No. This is différent, I swear I heard...something.."
"What? Jeez bro, be a little more specific."
"It sounded like...umm...ummm...a struggle or something...I clearly heard it."
"Bro, your imagination must be running overtime...didn't hear anything."
"No. I'm sure I heard it...coming from that direction, just a few meters through those grass."
"So okay, let's say you did heard something. What do we about it? I mean, do we wake the sergeant? Or what?"
"Let's check it out first."
"Check it out?" You crazy?"
"Come on." the commando said, stepping forward.
"Wait a minute there...." the other commando said, grabing his comrades arm. "Let's just think about this for a second."
"Just a quick look, then we go back."
"Nah-ah...I say we stay right here and report this in the morning...When there's light and we have back up, lots of back up."
"Look, something might be out there.."
"Exactly! Something Dangerous might be out there!"
"That's exactly why we need to check it out, It's Our job."
"Getting killed for being dumb isn't part of our job description."
"Come on, just follow my lead."
"I say we go wake up the rest of the team and let the veterans handle this..."

The tall dense shrubbery a few paces in front of them moved. Then continued moving, bending grasses towards their right side. They both turned towards the direction where there was movement, their eyes straining to see what was causing it. Neither of them could speak and were holding their breaths. Time itself moved in slow motion, all their senses were stretched to their max, the very fabric of their imaginations ran amock. Something was stalking them, just beyond the tall grasses, hidden and most probably very damgerous. Instinctively, both commandos raised their riffles, aiming it at the darkness not far ahead. It was a standoff, both sides were waiting for the one who will make the first move. The commando with the red bandana was suddenly thrusted forward, his body flying a few feet above ground past the other commando, then rolled as it hits the ground. The other commando was about to turn around when he too found himself hurled off his feet and in the air, feeling a searing pain on his back. He landed hard on the ground elbow first just a few feet beside his comrade, instantly feeling the pain shot in his head. A shadow loomed over him, he felt a tremendous weight pressing down on him pinning him to the ground. He looked to his right and saw something huge strode down towards his comrade with the red bandana, something impossible, something that shouldn't even exist. Looking in horror he watched helplessly as it tore his friend to pieces, knowing all too well that he too will share the same fate as his friend. The jaws of the massive beast pinning him bore down the back of his neck snapping it like a toothpick. Both beasts then dragged their prey back to the forest.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Hi there!!! First of all I'd like to thank 'ya all for sticking around...will be writing more often so I really really hope you guys will keep reading my work. Have a great day and hope you share "Artificial Earth" with your friends. Thanks again!!!