Artificial Earth

26

Kennebeck Stadium
West of Marble City
5:30 a.m

BRYAN COBB'S THE HEAD OF THE six men maintenance crew at Kennebeck Stadium. During his ten years of service at the stadium, there has never been any killings or death on his watch....until now. His father, Emilio Cobb was the former head of Kennebeck Stadiums maintenance crew. They were poor and were lucky enough to be among those who were choosen to be on board project Noah. Four years after the "Reaping" his father died of cancer, automatically passing him the position.
"Jimmy said Ted's dead...killed. The storms gotten worse and we're all stuck here with a killer on the loose...this is bad...really bad." he thought.
He maneuvered his way along the crowd of evacuees, using his flashlight to find his way through the darkness. Without the generator,the stadium looked like a sea of shadows,
families were huddled sitting close to each other, military men with flashlights were walking around, distributing food and aid, some standing on gaurd, keeping the peace....."Anyone of these people could be the killer or maybe there's more than one. he thought.
"Excuse me..." Bryan said, as he walked towards one of the MP's.
"I'm the head of maintenance and I need to speak to the Lieutenant.." Bryan added. The MP eyed him, looking at Bryan from head to toe.
"I'm afraid the Lieutenant's in a meeting right now...You can talk to him when they're finish." the MP said.
"No...You see, this is an emergency and I need to speak with him now." Bryan insisted.
       "I already told you....The Lieutenant's in a meeting."
       "Look soldier....If I don't get to speak to the Lieutenant and this situation gets any worse...."
"What's the emergency?" the MP asked. Bryan hesitated.. "One of my crew got killed just a while ago..."
The MP's expression changed, turning serious.
"You serious?"
"Dead serious"
"Okay....follow me." the MP ordered, turning and leading the way.

       Inside the circular room, Jimmy and Earl were standing next to each other facing the entryway. Teds body was sprawled on the floor in front of them, pieces of the generator were scattered everywhere and the mysterious dark mist which was slowly creeping was blocking their way out.
      "We have to find another way out of here." Jimmy said, keeping the light pointed at the entrance.
       "I'm scared Jimmy......I don't know what the hells going on, all I know is that Teddy's dead, you acting psycho over a mist, mentioning crazy things like vampires and stuff..." Earl said. "I don't even know why I'm following you..." Earl added.
        "There's no time. I'll explain everything later....Just keep pointing the light towards the openning." Jimmy said, his eyes searching the room. "There's got to be another way out." he thought out loud. He pointed the light up at the ceiling...."The Vent!" he cried out.
         "We need to get up there."
     The Vent was at least thiry feet from the ground, circular and was large enough for a man to crawl through. Steel bars that looked like staplers were fastened vertically to the wall all the way up the vent.
        "There! We use the bars to climb up." Jimmy pointed out. "Come on!"
        Jimmy started climbing putting the mini flashlight on his breast pocket so that the light would point upwards, Earl followed. They were half way up when suddenly something grabbed Earls foot.
        "No!...Jimmy!....Help!" Earl screamed, holding desperately on the steel bar.
        "Earl!" Jimmy shouted, looking back.
         "Ji..Jimmy!!!"
          "Hang on Earl!...just don't let go!"
          "Noooo!!!!" Earl cried out, holding on to the bar for dear life.
         Jimmy took out the flashlight from his breast pocket using his left hand, pointing it down on Earl. The creature let go of Earl, confirming Jimmys theory.
          "Now Earl! Go! Climb buddy!"
        Earl rushed up, climbing as fast as he possibly could. He caught up with Jimmy who was now only two feet above him, catching his breath.
      "What the Hell was that Jimmy!"
      "Okay Earl I need you to stay there for a while and point your flashlight directly below you so I can move on up ahead. When I get a few feet up, I'll stop and point my light on you so you can climb up again...We do that until we reach the top. Okay?" Jimmy instructed.
         "Jimmy please don't...I don't wanna stay here..."
          "Earl listen to me....You have to do as I say if you want us to get out of here alive..."
           "No..no...I can't!"
             "Yes you can Earl!....Just do as you're told and you'll be fine..."
             Earl was whimpering, holding the bar tightly.
              "Earl!"
               "O..Okay Jimmy.." Earl said, taking his flashlight and pointing it below him. "Just hurry
'kay?"
        Jimmy continued to climb, leaving Earl behind. The dark mist was swirling just below the ladder like steel bars that jutted out from the wall. He paused momentarily to look behind him then down below, Earls dark figure was slightly illuminated by the light pointed below him. Jimmy resumed climbing and was now less than ten feet away from the Vent, pausing, taking out his flashlight from his breast pocket and pointing it down at Earl.
       "Okay Earl! Jimmy shouted, his voice reverberating all around the circular room.
        Earl started climbing, breathing hard, sweating profusely. He was looking straight ahead, facing the wall, the back of his shirt and his armpits were stained with sweat. He paused for a while,breathing in deeply.
       "Are you okay Earl?" Jimmy asked.
       "I'm fine!"
       The mist was swirling below, slowly creeping upwards, avoiding the light, as if it has a mind of it's own.
    "It's creeping upwards, avoiding my light." Jimmy thought. "Hurry Earl!"
     Earl picked up his pace, climbing faster. He was slowly clearing the gap between him and Jimmy when his left foot slipped, making him loose his balance. Luckily, he was able to hold onto the bar, keeping him from falling to his death. After tightening his hold and adjusting his footing, Earl took one more glance below him then started climbing again.
      "Go! I'll keep the light on it 'till you reach the top!" Earl hollered, taking deep breaths.
       "Okay Earl....Once I reach the Vent, you hurry and follow....and don't look down, got that?"
        "Just hurry Jimmy...Okay?"
        Jimmy didn't answer back and hurriedly climbed up towards the Vent, not looking back. After a few minutes he finally reached the Vent, pulling himsellf up inside. He then positioned himself on the edge and pointed the light directly on Earl.
     "Now Earl! Go!"
      Earl hurriedly climbed up, carefully this time. The mist slowly crept upward following Earl, avoiding the light, moving in the shadows.
     "It's splitting up, dividing itself, trying to come at Earl from his sides!" Jimmy thought, looking at the mist.
      "Earl! It's coming at you from the sides!...Climb faster!" Jimmy yelled.
      "Shit!"
      Adrenaline due to pure fear kicked in, propelling Earl, like a bullet Earl went.
      "It's closing in! Climb Earl! Climb!"
      Jimmy pointed the light back and forth on Earls sides, drawing the mist back. Finally Earl got to the Vent.
     "Take my hand!" Jimmy offered, helping Earl up the Vent.
       "Come on!" Jimmy said, Crawling, leading the way inside the circular shaft.
         "Wait!" Earl said, pointing the flashlight at the entrance then leaving it.
         "I hope that keeps it out for a while 'till we get far enough." Earl said
"Come on!

----------------------------------------------------------

         MAJOR MITCHELL WAS SEATED AT THE Head of the table. On his right was Captain Stuart and on his left Lieutenant Greene, several members of the Majors Staff were seated across each other. One lamp was at the middle of the table and six others were placed all around the room.

        "As you all know, since the very start when the storm signal was raised...I immediately sent out an order to evacuate those living near the Bay area and other nearby districts. Now, We have ourselves a Super Storm....Colonel Henry Johnson placed me in charge of the entire  operation. We still have truck loads of people stuck out there, I want them brought in. We should also evacuate as many as we possibly could from the entire City and the rest of the other districts that are directly in the storms path." Major Mitchell explained.
    "Ahem...Excuse me Major but I don't believe that we have enough resources or manpower to do that. I suggest that we focus on evacuating only the East and West side of Marble City, and also limit the number of people that we can take in from the other districts..." Captain Stuart suggested.
       "That's not good enough....I want you people to go find me the resources and additional manpower we need. There must be a way....and if there isn't...I want you people to make one." Major Mitchell said.

----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Thank You very much for sticking around. I do appologize for the delays.... I'm hoping that you would all stay and keep reading "Artificial Earth" until the very end.
Please Vote/Share or Comment.
Thanks!!!