Artificial Earth

CHAPTER TWO

                                  11

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable."

                       --- Douglas Adams

E.A.R.T.H
Earth's Artificial Research and Technogical Habitat
4:30 a.m

      BONE AND I ENTERED the research facility's hangar. Jasper was already inside checking our ride..."The Argonaut" -- A black bullet proof mobile trailer truck specifically designed to handle the toughest terrain and adapt to any climate imaginable. It also features the latest,  state of the art communication equipment, medical, mobile laboratory, and advance weaponry system.
     "You're early." I greeted.
      "So are you." Jasper replied, walking towards the black van beside the trailer truck.
        "You and your team will be riding the Truck, Me and my team will be taking this Van." he said.
      "Your team?" I asked.
      "Yep. Orders from the Director himself, we're supposed to keep you people safe."
        Jasper Anderson was a Detective at Marble City Police Department before he got recruited by the Board.
    He's 32yrs. old, stands five foot eleven inches tall, physically fit like a boxer, black hair, dark brown eyes and has a tattoo of his last name on his left arm.
       A few years ago he and his partner were investigating a lead in a double murder case when his partner got shot in the head. Jasper went underground, rogue, hunted and killed his partners shooter. Judge took away his badge. The Board took him in and offered him the position Assistant Chief Security Officer at the research facility.
     "Aarf, Aarf!" Bone yelped.
     "Good Morning Abby. Hiya Bone!" Peter greeted, entering the hangar. "You alone?" I asked.
       "Maya, Kathy and Jiro's just right behind me." Peter replied, putting his gear down.
   "And Grey?" I asked.
         "Told me He'd catch up, needed to report to the Director." Peter explained, patting Bone on the head.
          "I see."
      "Hiya guys!" Maya greeted as they entered the hangar.
   "Aarf, Aarf!" Bone greeted her back, wagging his tail.
      "Bone! How are ya buddy?" Maya asked, ruffling Bones thick fur.
           "Where's Allan?" I asked.
           "I'm here." Allan called out, stepping out of the trailer.
           We all turned towards him.
    "I was checking the communication equipment last night,  musta've fallen asleep." he said.
      A jeep approached and stopped near the entrance of the hangar. Four men on backpacks, wearing black tactical suits stepped out carrying long rectangular cases.
      "My Team has just arrived." Jasper said, grinning.
        "Grrrrrr, Ruff Ruff!!!"
        "Easy Bone..." I said, touching Bones head.
          "Guys, I'd like you to meet my men..." Jasper said. "Matt, Hedges, Connor and Brian." he introduced.
            "Nice to meet you." I greeted.
            "Abby here's the professor, over there by the trailer's Allan from communication, Dr. Kathy from medical, Maya and Peter from Top Sciences lab and Anthropologist Jiro Hasegawa." Jasper pointed out. "And Bone."
          "Nice to meet you all." Matt greeted back.
        "I see you're all here..." Grey said, entering the hangar.
        They all turned towards him.
        "Let's go hit the road." he said.

----------------------------------------------------------

     "Now now let's all stay calm." Danver said, getting in between Gina and Jake.
        "Murderers!" Gina screamed, sitting beside Jenny.
         "I don't have time for this." Jake said, heading towards the counter.
         "Go to Hell!" Gina shot back, wipping the tears from her face.
         "Dan, we need to talk to that soldier." Garth insisted.
           Danver stood still and thought for a while. "Okay, let's do that. Jenny, stay with Gina, Garth ya come with me." he said.
        Danver and Garth went upstairs. Tommy, Jake and Rob were at the counter while Jenny and her friends sat together at a corner with Gina.
      "Do you really think they killed your boyfriend?" Buddy whispered.
       "Who else would do that?" Gina asked.
        "I don't trust them." Ray said, taking a shot of vodka.
         "I want to see Micks body." Gina said.
          "Let's wait for Danvers and hear him out before we make a move." Jenny suggested.
         "I want to go home." Cathy said.
         "Let's go find the body, see for ourselves." Buddy suggested.
            "I'm in." Ray said, looking at Buddy.
           "Let's go." Gina said, standing up.
           "Wait a minute.."Jenny was saying.
            "I'm tired of waiting!" Gina exclaimed, heading for the door.
             Buddy and Ray stood up and followed.
        "Shit." Jenny said, standing up.
        "I want to go home." Cathy said.

      "Where you guys going?" Tommy asked.
       "None of your business." Gina replied, walking out the door.
        "Are you guys crazy? The killer might still be out there..." Tommy pointed out.
         Buddy and Ray walked out the door. Jenny turned towards Tommy and just stood there, undecided.
        "Shit." she said, looking at the door.
         "Don't be stupid kid, this ain't no movie, it's not safe out there." Jake said, taking a shot of vodka.
          "Shit."  Jenny headed upstairs instead.

----------------------------------------------------------

    "Hey big guy, wake up man." Danver said, touching the soldiers arm, shaking him.
          "Uuugh, Where..Where am I?" Joe asked, sitting up.
         "You're at my bar, passed out couple of hours ago..." Danver replied.
       "Got to head back to central command, warn the others..." Joe said,touching his forehead.
         "What do you mean warn the others?" Danver asked.
         Jenny just got there and stood at the doorway.
         "The forest... it's alive, took my friends..." Joe said, looking Danvers in the eye.

----------------------------------------------------------

      The storm has gained strength, wind and rain hurled at them from every direction. Light from the lamp post has gone out, leaving the entire lot in darkness.
      "This way." Gina yelled, leading them out.
       They weaved their way in darkness. "That one over there!" she yelled, moving towards the car.
      "This is it." she pointed out.
      "Okay, let's open it...Are you ready?" Buddy asked.
         "Uhuh."
         Buddy opened the door. "Oh my God!" Gina exclaimed.
         "What the Hell!" Ray blurted.
         "Let's get out of here!" Buddy said.
          Gina gagged. Ray closed the door and grabbed Gina's arm.
       "Let's move!" Ray said, looking around.

         Suddenly, A tentacle like vine wrapped around Buddys foot. It came from underneath the car and started pulling Buddy. Ray started kicking the "thing" while Gina held on to Buddy.
        "Get this off me!" Buddy screamed, kicking the vine using his other leg.
          "Gina locked Buddy in a tight embrace while Ray kept kicking the vine.
           All of a sudden the car flew in the air...Gina screamed. Another vine, as thick as a tree trunk appeared and raised the car ten feet in the air then brought the car down on Buddy and Gina. Ray fell sideways hitting the ground hard. A loud noise bellowed, cars were hurled upward then crashed towards the earth. Gunfire erupted. Tommy, Jake and Rob were randomly shooting the creature from across the lot.
     "Run!!!" Tommy screamed.
     Ray started crawling forward when the car beside him flew in air and smashed right on top of him causing the car to explode.
      "Inside, Now!!!" Jake ordered, closing the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

  Hi Guys! I hope you're enjoying Chapter 02 of Artificial Earth!

I'd love to hear from you people, so please comment, vote and share this story with friends. Thanks!