Artificial Earth

24

Danvers Bar
6:30 a.m

INSIDE THE SHACK, JOE, JAKE AND GARTH were sitting alongside each other in the dark, totally unaware of the vehicle that just parked upfront. The three had been inside the shack for almost an hour now, thinking, planning their next move.
"I have an idea.." Joe said, standing up. "This shack is connected directly to the bar, right?"
"Well..technically...yes.." Garth answered as he stood up, followed by Jake. "This wall right here..." he pointed out, moving towards the wall, fumbling in the darkness.
Joe walked towards Garth, moved closer to the wall then pressed his ear against the cold smooth surface, listening in.
"Hear anything?" Jake asked.
Joe straightened up and moved away from the wall, head bowed down, thinking.
"That wall must be at least ten inches thick, can't hear anything." Joe mumbled out.
"Think we can bash our way through?" Garth asked.
"We can try....look for anything we can use..." Joe suggested, looking around.
"How are we supposed to find anything in the dark?" Jake asked.
"Open the door a bit, let some light in....You open the door and stand guard, Gile and I...." Joe was saying..."Garth." Garth corrected him. "Okay,..Garth and I will look for something we can use..." Joe said, feeling his way around. Jake got to door and opened it, some light and cold air rushed in. He peeked outside aiming his gun, bracing himself for any threat that may come their way.
"How about this shovel here." Garth pointed out.
"Nah...won't do. Too light..We need something heavier." Joe replied, searching the room.
Garth hunched back in front of the makeshift stack of tools and reached under it.
"Hey! Got a Crow bar here." he said, pulling himself up.
"Good work Garth..." Joe said.
Joe took the Crow bar from Garth and started hitting the wall using the pointed end of the bar.
"This is gonna take time...we should take turns." Joe said
"Why don't we just take our chances out there?" Jake asked, still looking outside.
"Because the three of us don't stand a chance against that thing." Garth answered back, cutting in.
"It's working..." Joe said, hitting the wall again. "Wall's thick but not that hard."
"Thank God!" Garth said, feeling relief, knowing that their chances got better.

----------------------------------------------------------

DANVER WAS SITTING IN A CORNER together with Jenny and Rob who was facing the stairs, riffles always ready within arms reach. A flashlight was on the table, it's light pointing just below the staircase. Jenny worked as a nurse at Saint Louis Memorial back on earth. Her parents were both in the medical profession, her mother was also a nurse and her father was an Orthopedic Surgeon, also at Saint Louis Memorial. Jenny has long brown curly hair that matches her brown eyes with an elegantly shaped face and a gorgeous body, like one of those pin up models on calendars you see at local stores and supermarkets. She has a quiet yet strong demeanor, making her appear older and smarter than she is. Standing five foot five inches tall, twenty-two years old and still single, she's very much popular among her peers, though used to it, she much rather just blend in and be unnoticed.
"How are you feeling?" She asked Danver, assesing his condition.
"Perfect...give me... hik...another shot Boy..hik." Danver answered back, holding his shot glass towards Rob who was also drinking.
"Dad...I think you've had enough.." Tommy said, looking at his father from across the room, sitting with the newcomers.
"Not nearly! Hik...To a glorious death!..hik." Danver exclaimed, raising his glass.
"Ooh Geeez.." Tommy sighed.
"No...that's fine Tommy...he needs to drink, by now, that wound of his has definitely gotta hurt. Without antibiotics or painkillers, alcohol will at least numb him a bit from pain." Jenny explained. "I just hope the others get back soon so we can get him to a hospital." she added, obviously worried.
"Pain my ass! I'll blow that creature to..hik..pieces...Hand me one of those grenades and lemme out of here..hik."
All of them sighed.
"This is my fault...." Cathy said aloud from the other side of the room.
"Yeah...It is." Tommy said, looking at her.
"Nah...nah...That's not true.... Bullet was just too fast..hik...If I were younger..hik...Tommy! Why on...hik...You go and clean up that broken table in the..hik..middle.." Danver pointing towards the mess in the middle of the room.
Everyone sighed.
"Hey...Ummm...Can we just go? I mean..maybe the creature's gone." John said.
"Wanna bet.." Rob said.
The room was gloomy and dark, everyone inside was already feeling tired, fatigue sinking in.
"Hey...Do you hear that?" Jenny asked, listening.
"What's wrong?...What do you hear?" Tommy asked back, straightening up, anticipating the worst.
"No..Ssshhh!..." Jenny said, still listening.
"Can you hear that?" Jenny asked again.
"Hear what exactly?" Tommy asked.
"It's like a faint thumping sound..." she said.
"I don't hear anything.." Tommy said.
"She's right...It's like something's thumping...It's faint, but it's there." Rob said.
Jenny stood up, looked around, trying to pinpoint were the thumping sound was coming from.
"It's coming from the wall...." Jenny said, picking up a riffle then strolled towards the sound.
Tommy and Rob also stood up, holding their riffles. Danver stood up....then sat again, pouring himself another glass. "Stupid monster...." he mumbled out.
"It's coming from here..." Jenny said, pressing her palm against the wall. "The walls vibrating, like someone's hitting it." she said.
"The Shack's directly behind that wall!" Tommy excitedly said.
"They're trying to break through it!" he added.
"Are you sure the Shack's directly behind this?" Rob asked, turning towards Tommy.
"You bet I'm sure!"
"Tommy...Do you have an iron bar, a chisel, a hammer...anything we can use...?" Rob asked.
"We have a few tools in the stock room inside the kitchen."
"Go get some...and bring that guy over there with you. We never go anywhere alone, okay?" Rob said, making a point.
"Okay."
Tommy headed for the kitchen asking John to accompany him while Rob and Jenny waited for them.
"How are you holding up?" Rob asked Jenny.
"I'm fine....just....scared to death I think."
"That's okay...I'm scared too you know..."
"It's not just that...I'm trying my best to stay positive, that we'll all make it out of here alive...but...deep inside, I know that...that...some of us aren't going to make it, and that..What if I didn't? There's so many things I still wanted for myself, so many things I haven't done yet..."
"Well...I don't wanna die either. Have a girlfriend waiting for me, you know...and we're living together but I..
nothing serious yet, still...It would be great if we could have more time together, hang out and do other stuff."
"I don't have a boyfriend yet..."
"Seriously?"
"Yup."
"You're still a virgin?"
"Hey! That's too personal!"
"Sorry...just asking...'coz that'll be a real waste if you died a virgin.."
"Ughhh! I'm not a virgin!!!" Jenny shouted back. Everyone in the room looked towards her.
"Good fer You!" Danver shouted back, raising his glass to take another shot.
"Uuughhh!!! What's taking Tommy so long!" Jenny voiced aloud, changing the topic.
Tommy and John got back carrying a large mallet with them.
"Will this do?" Tommy asked, looking at Rob. Everyone was quiet for a while. "What? Did we miss something?" Tommy asked, looking at Rob then at Jenny.
"Jenny's no longer a Virgin!" Danver shouted, drinking his shot.
"Uuurghhh!!! Give me that mallet!" Jenny said, taking the mallet from Tommy, taking a swing at the wall.
"I hate drunkards!" Jenny exclaimed.
"Good fer You!" Danver shouted, pouring himself another glass.

----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Thank You for reading....
Dont forget to vote for every page, comment and share with friends.
Thanks!
Photos are temporary and will be replaced soon.