ARTIFICIAL EARTH

38

SOUTH OF FIRST LAKE
8:05 a.m
THE SKY WAS IN TURMOIL. THUNDER AND LIGHTNING continued it's feverish symphony as wind and rain danced violently in darkness, the way storms always have since time immemorial. Inside the Pick-Up Truck, Former Sheriff Davey Hart, Tim and Martin sat quietly as they sped along the forested road heading south. The Former Sheriff knew these roads well, he has passed these roads countless times before. Standing Five foot eleven inches tall, the former Sheriff was lean and muscular and was still quick on his feet for a fifty-two year old. He has dark brown hair, mostly the product of regular application of hair color, dark brown intelligent eyes and a slightly squared jaw. At the age of twenty-four, he became Sheriff of First Lake, becoming the youngest ever to be appointed that position. Even at a young age, he performed his duties well and was fair in rendering judgement, earning the respect of the people as well as his fellow officers. Days turned into months and months into years...time has passed. He retired twenty six years later at the age of fifty, that was two years ago.

"Sheriff.." Tim said, turning towards Dave who was driving.
"Former." Dave said flatly, keeping his eyes on the road. "Just call me Dave." he added.
"Dave, What do we do? I mean...What if there are creatures around the place?" Tim asked.
"I don't know, let's just hope there aren't." Dave replied, looking straight ahead.
"Where do you think those creatures came from?" Martin asked.
"My best guess is....some sort of mutation." Dave replied. "See...This here place we live in right now's almost all Artificial, those who built this place were bound to make a mistake or two." he added.
"So you think those creatures were created?" Martin asked.
"Not necessarily....." Dave replied. "Could have been a by product of an experiment gone wrong, some sort of freakish accident....or...or....hell, I don't know...but whatever those things are...they must be destroyed." Dave added.

The three fell silent as the Pick-Up Truck turned left around a bend. A few meters beyond, several trees had fallen and were blocking the road ahead, preventing access of the main road leading south towards First Lakes Energy Transmitter. The Pick-Up Truck slowly came to a halt.
"Dammit!" Dave exclaimed, looking at the road block.
"What do we do now?" Tim asked, looking ahead.
"We go on foot. Transmitter's at least three blocks beyond that road block." Dave said, grabing his riffle, a flashlight and the extra cartridges inside the glove compartment. "We can take a shortcut through those line of trees." he added, pointing towards the tall trees just around the road block.
"Here we go.." Martin mumbled out.
The three stepped out of their vehicle and into the cold rain. Dave led the others towards the line of trees over the edge of the road. He was wearing a black hooded plastic raincoat just like the other two and was holding a flashlight with his left hand while his riffle was slung across his back.
"Come on...this way!" Dave hollered over the sound of pouring rain, trudging forward, his boots partially sinking in the mud.
The forest was dark and cold, offering little shelter from the onslaught of wind and rain. Dave pushed forward, stopping every few feet to catch his breath.
"There's an abandoned Cabin just up ahead...Come on!" Dave exclaimed, leading the way.
"Right behind you Chief!" Martin replied, following Dave.
The Cabin was made out of Pine Wood. It was small, old, decaying. Holes on the walls could be seen from outside and the roof was also riddled with it. Rain continuously poured down it's holes, endlessly flowing like water from open faucets. The smell of old pine mixed with a rotten stench greeted them as they came closer. They moved silently, cautiously, their eyes scanning the surroundings, looking for any possible threat. Dave handed his flashlight over to Tim then unslung the riffle from across his back, holding it with both hands. He then darted towards the old Cabin, jumping on the Porch with his riffle, pointing it directly in front of him. Pressing his back against the wall of the Cabin, Dave waited patiently, listening for movement inside. There was none. He then motioned for Tim and Martin to come over. Tim and Martin sprinted over and were grateful to be out of the rain. Three minutes have gone by. The trio stood there silently with their backs pressed against the cold wood, listening for any sound from inside that may indicate that the Cabin's occupied. There was no other noise except for the pouring rain and the occasional howling of the wind.
"Okay, I think it's safe." Dave said, lowering his riffle.
"What's this Cabin doing out here in the middle of the forest? More importantly...Who would even live here?" Martin asked, looking around. "Well, this used to be a safe house. This is where we kept witnesses in need of protection." Dave explained, opening the front door.
The inside of the Cabin was relatively small. A thick layer of dust covered the entire surface of the room, cobwebs hung above every corner and an old wooden table with two matching chairs were at the center. On the left side was a small bed, also made out of wood, across the other end was the kitchen and the open door beside it was the bathroom. There were no windows, just wooden walls.
"Wow. Talk about being over protective.." Martin said, looking at the windowless walls.
"You boys feel at home now while I take a leak." Dave said, heading for the bathroom.
"Feels good to be out of the rain." Tim said, brushing water off his coat.
"Hey guys,..How come no one down there at the Transmitter plant thought about shutting down the damn power?" Martin asked, sitting down.
"Shouldn't they have shut the power off when the storm hit?" Tim asked back.
"That's what they usually do.." Dave said from across the bathroom. "Those guys aren't worth their paycheck!" he added sarcastically.
"They must've forgotten to switch the power off" Tim said.
"But that's plain stupid, how could they even forget that?" Martin asked back.
"We'll know when we get there." Dave said, walking towards the two.
"Hmmp. Something's not right.." Martin said.
"Hell, everything's not right, got this unusual storm, creatures, missing people..." Dave interjected. "Let's just hope things don't get worse." he added, moving towards the bed. "Just let me stretch my back here for a few minutes before we head on out." he said, putting his riffle on the floor."Back hurts, jeeez, getting old sucks."
"Seventy sure sucks." Tim said.
"Guy's ancient." Martin added.
"Fifty-two!" Dave corrected.
"Opps, sorry, my bad." Tim apologized, chuckling.
"You look ancient." Martin teased.
"Huh. Thanks." Dave replied, smiling a bit.
"So, What's the plan?" Martin asked.
"We get to the Transmitter, shut it down then head on back as quickly as possible." Dave replied, closing his eyes.
"Good plan." Tim said.
It all happened so fast, something came through the slightly opened door and leaped at Tim knocking him and his chair back. The shadowy figure stood on top of Tim, biting him on his arm when he tried to ward off the attack. Martin also fell backwards grabbing the table, dragging it with him as he fell. Dave sat up and grabbed his riffle. The flashlight fell and twirled on the wooden floor, casting strobe like shadows in the dark Cabin before it finally stopped, pointing towards the kitchen.
"Awww shiiiit!" Tim shrieked as he tried to pull his arm free from the creatures jaw, blood oozing from his arm.
Dave tried to aim at the creature but couldn't see clearly in the dark, hesitating, afraid he might hit Tim instead. Meanwhile, Martin finally managed to get up and tried kicking the creature on top of Tim.
"Ugh!!! I'll kill you!!! I'll fucking kill you!!!" Tim screamed, punching the creatures face with his free hand.
Martin took the chair and rammed it on top of the creature, making it turn back towards him, letting go of Tims arm.
"Roll away Tim!!!" Dave shouted, aiming his riffle.
Tim rolled and Dave manage to take a clear shot, hitting the creature twice on the head. The creature gave an ear splitting shriek before falling dead on the floor. Tim was holding his arm, looking at the creature while Dave and Martin stood motionless, also staring at the dark figure on the floor. Dave walked over and grabbed the light while Martin helped Tim up.
"What the hell is that thing?" Martin asked, holding Tim up.
"I don't know.." Dave replied, pointing the light at the creature.
"Is it a Wolf?" Tim asked through clenched teeth, feeling pain.
"No. Much bigger.." Dave said, looking at the gray hairy creature.
"Look! It has horns!" Martin exclaimed.
"We better get out of here before more of them shows up." Dave said.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Hi there!!! Happy New Year!!! How's your holiday? Hope you guys had a great time! Thanks for staying and please do Vote, Share and Comment! Thanks again!!!