Artificial Earth

48

Kennebeck Stadium
East Wing

SGT. DAVIS ALONG WITH FOUR OF HIS MEN, ESCORTED MP Doug Emerson, MP McDonald and Bian Cobbs through the dark uninhibited hallways leading to Kennebeck Stadiums East Wing where MP Arnold Mason was last seen. According to Doug, He and his partner Arnold were assigned at the foot of the entrance, left on the south corner on the east side, just across the entrance to the stadiums parking area. The group walked casually towards the end of the hallway, passing lines of clothing stores and accessories.
"Excuse me sir..." said a young conmando.
"Yes?" Sgt. davis replied, stopping.
"Sir, may I speak to you in private?" the commando asked. Sgt. Davis and the commando moved a few feet away from the group.
"What is it?" Sgt. Davis asked.
"Sir, I seemed to have lost communication with the others...I can't get in touch with the Lieutenant or any of our team." the commando explained while checking his comm link.
"How about the others? Captain Stuart or the Major?" Sgt. Davis asked, frowning.
"Nothing sir. Only static." the commando said.
It wasn't really unusual to loose communication every now and then, especially with a storm this strong, plus they were probably inside a dead spot in the stadium, Sgt. Davis thought. Besides, they were all just hooked up to back-up batteries.
"That's okay. Storm must've mess with the power. Just try again later." Sgt. Davis said, moving back towards the group.
"Okay, let's keep moving." Sgt. Davis ordered.

The group moved towards the entrance of a department store and went inside. Dozens of stalls and shelves filled with various merchandises were lined up, manequins wearing different fashionable clothings, books of all sorts, ornamental rugs, bags, shoes and all kinds of accessories being sold at discount prices were all on display. A noticeably large stuffed pink Teddy Bear wearing a white T-shirt with the words "I want a Home" printed in bold black letters sat in a corner, a favorite gift item for kids and those who are still kids at heart.
"Hey, Umm, I'm Mac and this here's Brian from maintenance." Mp McDonald said.
"Nice to meet you. I'm Doug." Mp Doug Emerson replied, shaking their hands.
"So, Umm, Do you have any idea who took your partner?" McDonald asked as they slowly moved forward.
"No." Doug replied.
"Saw anything?"
"No."
"Geez, This is getting wierder and wierder...We have a murder, two missing maintenance crews who first dicovered the body...now this." Mac said, shaking his head.
"Should've stayed in bed." Brian muttered.
"What murder?" Doug asked, turning to Mp McDonald.
"Haven't you heard? Guy...I mean, one of Brians crew was found dead down at the tunnels. Those who found and reported the body, also part of their crew went missing and are now considered suspects." Mac rexplained.
"Suspects? I told you, there's no way those two clowns are capable of something like that for crying out loud..." Brian said defensively.
"I'm just stating a fact...that until they could prove their innocence and evidence based on the autopsy and scene of the crime investigation suggests that they had nothing to do with the murder, they'll be considered as suspects." Mac explained, turning towards Brian.
"And I'm tellin'ya, those dumbass are innocent. Whoever killed Old Ted is still out there. You can bet my next paycheck on it!" Brian replied.
"So if what you're saying is true..Do you think the one who took Arnold..." Doug was saying.
"It's possible." Mac concluded.
"Hell, anything's possible. There could even be..." Brian was saying.

"Drop your weapons!" A loud voice commanded, interrupting Brian. The voice seemed to be coming from behind them.
"Turn around slowly and drop your weapons!" the voice repeated. The group slowly turned around but held on to their riffles. Sgt. Davis moved his way forward through the group, his riffle aimed in front of him from his waist, his men following just a step behind him. Several men wearing black fatigues with red arm bands on their shoulders stood pointing their riffles and guns at them, a few more were in the corners around them, they were surrounded.
"I suggest you surrender peacefully Sgt." the tall commando in the middle said.
"What the hell is this?" Sgt. Davis asked.
"Just drop your weapons and nobody will get hurt." the tall commando said.
"Screw you!" shouted one of Sgt. Davis's men, stepping forward.
"Stand down Cutter!" Sgt.Davis ordered. Cutter hesitated for a moment then did as he was told and fell back.
"A wise move Sergeant, now for the last time, drop your weapons!"
Sergeant Davis knew they were outnumbered, surrounded and were very much in a disadvantage, fighting back now is suicide, they will only get slaughtered. The best thing he could do for now was to keep his men alive and wait for an opportunity to strike. He lowered his riffle and ordered his team to do the same.
"Major finds out about this you'll all hang!" Sgt. Davis exclaimed, placing his riffle on the floor.
"You're probably right Sergeant, lucky for us the Major's dead." the tall commando said, smirking.
Sgt. Davis was momentarily taken by surprise, too stunned to move or say anything in response.
"And unless you want to join him I suggest you do exactly what I say." the tall commando added.
A deep silence filled the room. For a brief moment no one moved or spoke. The stillness that hung in the air felt like an eternity, as if time has stopped and everyone was frozen in place. Sgt. Davis was about to speak when he noticed that the temperature inside the room suddenly changed, it had dropped and was getting colder by the second. Around them, somehow, the walls grew darker, something was wrong and they all felt it.
"What the hell --" the tall commando murmured.
All of a sudden a dark thick smoke started moving towards them, coming from the direction where Sgt. Davis and his crew came from, devouring everything in it's path.
"Behind you!" Sgt. Davis shouted, trying to warn the commando as he reached for his riffle.
"I said....DON'T MOVE!!!" the tall commando yelled back, taking a step forward, raising his riffle.
Sgt. Davis ignored the warning and grabbed his riffle, his men following his lead. Everything happened so fast...The tall commando along with two of his men were consumed by the mist, completely disappearing from sight. Bloodcurdling screams from within followed. Some stood frozen in place while others slowly backed away as they all watched the dark smoke move forward.
"What the hell is that?" one of Sgt. Davis's men asked, backing away. The Sergeant stepped forward, his riffle raised. Before he could take another step, three bodies were thrown out of the fog, dried up and dead, landing directly in front of him. Everyone started firing indisciminately at the fog using as much firepower as they can. A full minute has passed before they stopped, shells were scattered on the floor and the smell of gun powder was so strong it can almost be tasted. Something was moving inside the fog, then came noises, inhuman, hissing noises like hundreds of snakes in an an enclosed room. There were eleven commandos with red armbands left in the room and were standing closer to the mist...Sgt. Davis and his group were now slowly backing away.
One commando with a red armband stepped forward towards the fog.
"Is that you Jean?" he asked, taking another step while lowering his riffle.
"Tina?" asked another commando, stepping forward.
"Grace..." another commando whispered. One by one, every commando within ten feet from the fog started acting strangely. It was as if they were seeing heaven openning right before them, being drawn by an unseen power.
"What the--" Brian Cobbs started saying.
A commando on the left side infront of Sgt. Davis stepped forward towards the fog.
"Get back soldier!" Sgt. Davis commanded. The soldier kept walking, not hearing his order.
"Sergeant..." his second in command called out.
"Okay, move back...go...Go!" Sgt. Davis ordered. His crew backed away and ran towards the opposite end of the store, leaving the eleven rebels behind. They reached the end of the hall where an exit sign hung on top of an open glass door and stopped to catch their breaths.
"Wha...what...the hell was that?" Mp McDonald asked, breathing hard.
"Sir...the Major.." one of Sgt. Davis's men asked.
"Try to call command. See if you can verify the information." Sgt. Davis said.
They suddenly heard screaming and cries of agony from the direction they left. Everyone stood still and listen. After a few minutes all was quiet, it was over.
"Those men..." Mp Doug Emerson said. "They're gone...they're all dead."
"Look!" Brian said, pointing towards the opposite end of the hall.
"That fog is moving again...and it's headed this way. We better get out of here...Go!" Sgt. Davis said, leading the group out.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Hi there!!! Finished another page, hope you enjoy reading it. Thank You very much for the support, I really appreciate it. Don't forget to Vote, Comment or Share with your friends...Thanks again!!! Stay home and keep safe!!!