Artificial Earth

07

Top Science Research Facility
E.A.R.T.H 02 (Earth's Artificial Research and Technogical Habitat)   

         DURING THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS,  Peter Jengkins been busy analyzing the data coming in from   the Weather Monitoring Division.

       Ten large screens were on the wall in front of him showing digital images of the storm and a map of the entire Artificial Planet.  The system provides information for weather forecasts and is also used to study weather and climate. 
Data parameters include measurements in temperature, atmospheric pressure, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, solar radiation, and precipitation...among other things.
       "This is strange..." Peter thought, taking out his cellphone.
         "Hello....this is Peter Jengkins from Top Sciences... Could you have someone from I.T for me please..." he said. 
"A moment sir.."  the voice answered.
     "Thank you." he said, then patiently waited.

         30 seconds later...

        "Ahem..Umm....Max here from Tech Division....How can I help you?"
          "Aah..yes..umm..I'm Jenkins from Top Sciences and I'm wondering if you could check something out for me.." Peter requested.
      "Uhuh.." Max said.
     "You see....there are multiple red dots on our weather monitor that's not supposed to be there but keeps popping up on different locations, and there's this large area showing abnormal signatures...I'd appreciate it if you could check if there's something wrong with our monitor or maybe an error in the system..." Peter said.
      "Okay...but that'll take...umm..an hour and some." Max said.
       "That's fine...Could you give me a call when you're done?" Peter asked.
       "Sure, no problem."
            "Thanks."

       Peter stared at the monitor.
      " What on earth's happening...?" he wondered.

-----------------------------------------------------------

      I DECIDED TO HEAD BACK TO my office so that I could rest for a while. My head was aching and my fractured wrist has already started to throb again, I guess painkillers were wearing off. Bone loyaly walked along side of me, the way he usually does when we're together.  People all around us were busy with work, most of them where wearing white lab gowns and were moving in different directions.       
       My Office was located on the third floor, just above the cafeteria.  I took my key card out, inserted it into the slot then typed my password on the panel. The door slid open in front of me and we entered the room.
      Bone excitedly went ahead of me and looked around. I walked towards the glass table, took the remote and turned on the T.V.

        "Hi, this is Sarah Michaels.."
         "And I'm Henry Stevens.."
        "This is...Marble City News." they both announced.

     A replay of this mornings news was on. I took my lab coat off and hung it on a clothes pin across the room while Bone excitedly went from room to room, checking out the office.

          " Today's Top Stories.." Sarah went.
          " Several Districts Evacuated because of flooding...
            Typhoon signal expected to escalate....
              Artificial Earth's Defense Premier releases emergency food supplies for evacuees....
          "Lake resident caught Monster on camera, true or hoax?"

        The final headline caught my attention and curiosity. I've always been fascinated about stories of monsters, creatures, aliens...those sorts of things. I remember when I was young, my father would come home from work and we would sit on the front porch and watch the sunset. Afterwards, I would force my father to tell me stories about monsters or aliens.

          "Lake resident caught Monster on camera...that story when we return..." Sarah said.

        I took out the pills the doctor gave me and went to get a glass of water from the sink. The blue pill was for the pain and the red one was for infection. After swallowing both pills and drinking water, I headed back to the sofa. Bone followed and lay on the carpet right next to me. An Ad about this delicious burger was playing which reminded me that I still haven't eaten yet.

          "Back to the news......47 year old Thomas Burke, A resident of  first lake told Marble News yesterday that  he was securing his boat because of the storm that evening, when he heard a strange sound..." Sarah reported.
      "At first I thought it was just the wind or something....then I heard a sort of loud splash followed by something that sounded like a very large animal....I got scared and ran back inside." Thomas said.
      "I went upstairs, turned on the search light and aimed it on the water. Took out my cellphone and zoomed in to take pictures of the thing." he continued.
      The photos reveal three different angles of a long black serpent like creature in the water.

  I stared at the photos, mesmerized.

    "I know many of you out there are wondering whether or not these pictures are real or just a hoax....We sent the photos to an expert to determine whether they're authentic or not...and he confirmed that the photos are genuine and no alterations were made." Sarah explained.

  "I would like to advise everyone to please stay away from the lake...until further investigation can be made."
  Henry Stevens said.

    Thank you very much for watching Marble News, I'm Sarah Michaels, and I'm Henry Stevens...."Be safe everyone."

      I took out my cellphone and dialed,...."Maya, this is Abby....I want the team ready by nine o'clock tonight, I'll meet you all at the briefing room." Abby instructed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Hello?" Peter asked.
      "Umm, Peter Jengkins?" Max asked.
        "Yes, speaking." Peter replied.
         "This is Max from Tech Division,..We were able to check the weather monitors and it seems that there are no glitches or any problems with the system."
        "Are you sure about that?" Peter asked.
         "Uhuh, Systems clean." Max said.
"Could you check it again for me? Just to be sure..." Peter requested.
          "Sure...but I'm still confident we'll get the same results.." Max said.
         "Just check them again for me please.." Peter insisted.
      "Okay, I'll call you back." Max said.
       "Thanks."

     "Systems clean...so what the hell are those dots? And what's with the abnormal signatures coming from that large area?" Peter wondered.
     "Maybe boys from Tech Division overlooked something..."

           Cellphone ringing.....

         "Hello Max?" Peter asked.
        "Peter this is Maya..."
          "Oh, sorry Maya....I thought you were someone else, I was expecting a call from tech division." Peter apologized.
         "It's okay,...boss wants the "Team" by nine, briefing room."
        "Oh..umm..okay, I'll be there. Thanks."
          "No problem."

       "Now what?" Peter wondered.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note

Hi! I hope you're enjoying the story...let me know what your thinking..
Comment
Vote
Share
Follow

Thanks