Chapter 18 - Exposed

Start from the beginning

I checked social media for the first time in 4 days and the Monsta X fan accounts had been busy with the dating rumor. The photos were all over the place, but like he said, my face wasn't visible... but my distinctive blonde hair was. Some fans were comparing these photos with the ones from the contest event, and it was pretty obvious it was the same hair. So far, most IMBBs were supportive of the possibility, but KMBBs were already on the attack.

My Noona friends were active in the group today, consoling me because they thought I would be sad my bias had a girlfriend. Obviously, they had not read the articles, because my name was there from winning the contest and the comparison photos were also everywhere. I had been less active since my return and still had not shared it with them, but it was right there for any of them to see. One of them did comment that the dates matched up for when I was there. She made a joke about it being me, but obviously did not think it was. I never elaborated on the subject.

I loved fangirling over the guys with these girls, but I was not really free to share our relationship with anyone but Nikki. She and I had been best friends since high school and knew pretty much every dirty little secret about each other. We always joked that either had enough for blackmail should the need arise. I wasn't prepared for the questions and inevitable jealousy from these women I knew only in the digital world. I trusted a couple of them to keep the information secret, but the others I could not be sure of, so I just kept it quiet.

Later that day, Minhyuk posted a letter to fans in fancafe. He added the photo of our hands wearing the couple rings.

....To Monbebes who have loved and supported Monsta X, I want to thank you for loving me. Today I want to tell you some good news! I have found my special person. I know you will be happy for me because you love me and want my happiness.
I want the same thing that all of you want, to be happy. I will not apologize for loving someone. I am a grown man with my own needs and desires. I hope you can be happy for me and accept my decision well.
I love you all and thank you for supporting Monsta X! Saranghanda Monbebe!...

I cried when I read this, but they were happy tears. My hands were shaking when I texted Minhyuk. I told him I had read the letter. I told him how brave he was and how proud I was to be in his life. I had watched how he had matured and come into his own so much during the past few years. He had also found his voice and had learned not to be bullied by fans. The members had been through enough of that and he was not going to stand for it anymore. This letter reflected that.

Moments later, the official statement was released and posted on all social media platforms. The statement read:

....Before officially announcing the relationship of member Minhyuk and the undisclosed female, there was discussion exchanged with the Monsta X members. As much as the members have all experienced the pain of past experiences, they expressed their intention to stand together in support of the relationship. There is no breach of contract as all members are allowed to pursue personal endeavors. The agency also respected this decision, and we will support this relationship...

The next couple of days I was walking on cloud nine, but I was also looking over my shoulder constantly. Every time I saw someone with their phone raised, I was sure they were taking my photo. I scoured social media for updates to see if anyone had discovered me. Everything seemed okay at first. Then one day it happened. My photo was plastered all over the place. My name, my address, my phone number, the fact that I was a divorcee, and other details about my past were all posted for anyone and everyone to see and criticize. I reported the posts and I called the police to see if I had any recourse. They told me that any information that was available to the public was fair game, but if I was being threatened, I should seek protection. That was not the answer I wanted.