Truth Doesn't Always Hurt

•The Doctor and Rose land on a planet where the air makes you tell the truth•

"Here we are!" The Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS and gestured for Rose to follow. She stepped out behind him, reasonably cautiously, since the last planet they had been on had been in civil war.

"Oh, it's peaceful," she breathed a sigh of relief.

The Doctor glanced at her, offended. "I did promise you a break," he said.

"You always promise a break," Rose pointed out, smiling at him. "Is it ever going to be one?"

"Yes. Now," The Doctor replied, exasperated. He spread his coat out on the soft green grass and pointed at it in a playfully commanding fashion. "Lie down and relax."

She laughed and lay down on the coat, the Doctor following suit on her left. "Now, isn't this nice?"

"Yes," Rose admitted, "I like when we're alone together."

She clapped her hand over her mouth, realizing what she had just said. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't-"

The Doctor looked shocked for a moment, then grinned. "It's okay," he said. "Truth be told, I like it too."

Then it was his turn to clap his hand over his mouth. "Rose, I didn't mean to-"

"I didn't either," Rose cut him off, and they lay back again to watch the clouds, this time in a very awkward silence.

"Rose, what do you think of me? I mean really, I know I'm awful, the time war and-" the Doctor sighed aggressively, interrupting himself. "I didn't mean to say one bit of that out loud," he groaned.

"That's okay, Doctor, I sort of like to hear you talk, It's soothing," she sat up, alarm written on her features. "Why-? I was only thinking it!"

"Hang on," the Doctor stood and cupped his hand over his sonic screwdriver. He blew out his cheeks and smiled.

"What is it?" Rose asked, a bit flustered.

The Doctor regarded her carefully and licked his lips, sniffing the air and scanning it just a bit more. "It's truth oxygen," the Doctor said, "It makes you say whatever you're thinking, and you can't lie. If you think about a lie, you'll say it, but you'll also say that it's a lie."

"The sonic picked all that up?"

"Yes."

"Let's leave," she said in a rushed voice, trying to pull him to his voice and walking quickly to the TARDIS.

The Doctor shot to his feet and reached the TARDIS before Rose and pulled the door shut, blocking her way. "What don't you want me to hear?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

She colored deeply. "Stuff," she forced out before placing her hand over her mouth.

"Don't resist, Rose," the Doctor said. "It'll get to both of us in the end."

"Then let's go before it does!" Rose nearly shouted.

"I want to see what you're hiding!" The Doctor matched her tone. "We travel together, Rose, should there really be secrets between us?"

"In this case, yes," Rose nodded furiously.

The Doctor reached out and took her hand and escorted her back to his coat on the grass. "Sit," he commanded, and she complied immediately, not seeing anything else for it.

He followed her. "How do you feel about Mickey?"

"Done with it." Rose shrugged, not realizing she was spilling her guts to him. "Loved him, but he got too possessive and too jealous of you. What did you think of him?"

"Hated him," the Doctor chirped cheerfully. "You're right, too possessive."

They both sat in silence. Rose had plenty of questions, but all of them too delicate and fragile. However, even though she was intent on what she did and didn't want to say, the truth oxygen took hold of her.

"You're taking advantage of the situation," she finally said.

"Yes, I am. Might not get another chance for you to open up," he replied cheerfully.

"You're one to talk, Doctor. You're like the book from Harry Potter with the teeth, not letting anyone in."

He was quiet for a moment. "Do you really think that?"

"Can't say anything but the truth," she reminded him.

"Then, ask me anything," he said quietly. "I want you to."

"What happened to Gallifrey?" She asked him without thinking, almost wincing as the question left her lips.

He didn't even pause, the air taking over him as well. He told her of his family, the world, the culture, the music... He told her of Gallifrey falling, and how he had caused it. When he reached that part, she claimed one of his hands with hers.

"I found you in that shop right after the Time War," the Doctor said. "I had to find... This thing rattling about on my head, this," he turned to face her. "Bad Wolf."

"Well, isn't that perfect," Rose grinned.

He smiled back at her. "It is, isn't it?" He shook his head. "Maybe you're right, we should go."

"No, Doctor, not yet," she said firmly, her grip on his hand tightening. "I want to know one more thing."

The Doctor now looked completely uncomfortable, not thinking that the oxygen would be this strong on his superior biology. He knew whatever she asked he would have to answer honestly.

"So what do you think of me, Doctor?" She cocked her head to the side.

He swallowed hard, and tried to calm his breathing. "You're my most valued companion," he said, but followed quickly with "that's a lie, you know."

Her face fell. "Oh," was all she could say.

"No, no you are," the Doctor said hastily, "the lie is that you're just my companion... You're more than that."

"Am I?"

"Yes."

"Go on."

"No." She saw his jaw work as he did his best to keep it closed.

"Doctor," she said warningly. "You're the one who didn't want any secrets."

"That's when I thought you would be the only one confessing." The Doctor blurted out. "I knew it would get to me, but not this much. I thought I'd be able to control it."

"What's it, then? Tell me, you look like you're going to explode!"

He turned fully to face her and shifted their hands so he was in control, holding both of hers. He still looked like he was struggling against the oxygen. "I'm in love with you. Not infatuated, I can swear it to you. I love you more than anyone then I've ever been in 900 years, and every day my hearts break because I can't kiss you or hold you, I've got to settle for holding you hand."

Rose blinked, trying to think of a clever response. "You haven't got to settle," she said suddenly, and a breeze came that was strong on both ends, and suddenly their lips met in a kiss that was very much a surprise to both of them.

Rose's mind froze, but the Doctor's didn't. He took the opportunity to remove his hands from Rose's and wrap them around her waist. After a moment, Rose fully reciprocated and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

After a few moments, they separated, their foreheads touching. The Doctor sighed, giving in. There was no way he was leaving Rose ever, not now.

"That was quite the break." Rose said quietly.

The Doctor let out a breathy laugh and nodded. He stood and pulled her to her feet, kissing her again, before sweeping his coat up in one arm and leading her back to the TARDIS.