Of Rose Tyler and Men

Day 4 Requested by ShadowbenderDemigod edited slightly so Rose doesn't seem super petty

The Doctor hated Christmas parties.  It was really that simple.  It was a reason for humans to get drunk on eggnog and kiss complete strangers under mistletoe. 

That out of the way, the Doctor had to say that there really was something to be said about mistletoe.  There was a certain woman he didn't think he would mind seeing under the mistletoe.  He had to push away the thought before it got too deep into his head. 

The problem was, Rose was thinking about the same thing.  But, of course, she knew the Doctor had certain rules that he kept his rules religiously, and she wasn't about to break them all by snogging him under a plant.

It wasn't right.  She knew that, she knew she should leave it alone.  So she did, and when they got to her mum's party, she left the Doctor's side to mingle with some of her old school friends.  They were all very excited to see her, and it was clear that some of the boys from her school remembered her a bit less attractive then she was now.  The staring was making her somewhat uncomfortable. 

Anthony was one she remembered very well.  He'd never paid her much mind at school, but it seemed as though he was certainly paying her some mind now.  As she talked to Keisha and Shireen, she saw his eyes travel over her body, the dress that she knew clung to her in all the right places.  Still, it made her just a bit uncomfortable.  

Rose glanced around for the Doctor every so often, not really wanting to be alone anymore.  When she looked for him, he was standing, his body propped against the table, arms crossed, and watching her.  She beckoned for him to come over, but he just smiled and shook his head once.  

She dropped her hand and sent him a glare before turning to her friends again.  Well, if he wasn't going to spend any time with her, then the people she'd come to visit would.  "So, Shireen, how's Uni?"

The Doctor furrowed his brows as she turned away from him and went back to talking with her friends.  Was that face really necessary?  He only didn't want to go over there because he knew he'd embarrass Rose, or make her friends hate him.  They were better off thinking of him as "Rose's antisocial bloke", which wasn't terribly far from the truth.

But, did she need to make a big deal about it?  He continued to watch her from the wall, not being able to leave her or even stop looking at her.  Maybe it was to protect her, maybe it was something else.  He wasn't really going to think about it now, knew it was a bad idea, but it was impossible to keep every piece of his mind off of her.

Rose was trying not to be angry with the Doctor, she knew that it wasn't his fault that he didn't want to talk to her friends, but it made her a little angry.  She wanted him to be a part of her life, and it hurt that he wasn't when she was home.

"Uh, Rose?" Anthony's voice broke through her thoughts and she lifted her eyes to him.  

"Yeah?" She responded, lacing her fingers together in front of her. 

He shifted awkwardly from foot to foot.  "Can I talk to you?"

Rose nodded, furrowing her brows.  "Is everything alright?" 

"Yeah, everything's fine, just," he gestured vaguely with his hand.  "Maybe we could go outside for a minute?" 

"I'll just grab a coat," Rose replied, trying to ignore to looks Shireen and Keisha were throwing her way.  She knew, in her head, where this was heading, and if she was going to shut it down, it would be now.

She glanced over at the Doctor, who was now staring daggers at her.  She smiled slightly at him and gave him a little wave.  He didn't have to know that she was going to finish something instead of start it.  She absent-mindedly grabbed the Doctor's long coat from the back of the couch and put it on, hoping he would see it as her marking herself as his.  She could feel his gaze on her as she and Anthony left the flat and stood just outside, looking out over the estate. 

"You look beautiful, Rose.  Traveling suits you," Anthony said, smiling shyly at her.

Rose tucked a bit of hair behind her ear and politely returned the smile.  "Yeah, the Doctor's taught me a lot."

"Are you and him..." The regret and sadness in Anthony's voice was evident.

"I don't know," Rose replied, "But I know that he's... Well, he's..."

"You love him."

"I love him."

"That was sort of what I came out here to ask you about," Anthony admitted, "I can see it in your eyes, when you look at him.  And I just thought that if I had a chance, I'd ask straight out."

"That's good of you," Rose agreed, "And even if you did, it wouldn't be fair to you, Anthony, because I'm never here."

Anthony nodded.  "I just needed to know."

"I'm glad you asked."  She reached over and squeezed his hand.  "You're completely lovely.  Don't worry about women loving you because... Well, you should talk to Keisha."

He let out a bark of laughter.  "Gosh, Rose, give me a half a second to get over you first," he teased, and Rose had to smile

Just then, the Doctor burst through the front door of the flat.  "Rose, can I talk to you for a moment?"

She turned over her shoulder, feigning nonchalance even as her heart pounded wildly in her chest.  "Yeah, of course."

Apparently, he wasn't going to let her walk by herself.  He grabbed her by the hand and tugged her down the stairs and across the lot to where the TARDIS was parked.  He pulled her out of sight, behind the box, where no one would see them.  She could only stare at him in shock.

"What-"

"You're not staying," he said as he gripped her shoulders, staring down at her, his eyes panicked, "I can't live without you Rose, you can't stay here with him."

Rose raised her eyebrows, "Doctor, I'm not-"

"Please," he closed his eyes and moved a step closer.  "Please don't leave me."

It was the plea in his voice that did her in.  He just wanted her to stay.  She reached up and grabbed his lapels before pulling him down to her, initiating the only kiss she'd ever wanted to take from someone.  His hands slid around to her back as he reciprocated slowly, making the kiss deep and tender.  They both pulled away, panting heavily. 

"I'm not going anywhere, Doctor," she promised, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"That's good," he said, his voice throaty and deep, "Because I quite fancy you.  And I've found, I quite fancy you in my clothes."

"Does that mean I can keep the coat?" 

The Doctor pulled away from her and frowned.  "We'll do a time share," he said, leaning down without preamble to bite her neck. He was about to move back when she put her hand on his head, keeping him there. 

She'd never know how long they stood there, but eventually he pulled back enough to tip his forehead against hers.   

"I love you, Rose."

She ran a hand through his hair and kissed him softly.  "I love you too."