Admitting the Obvious

Requested by Tje1415

"We should tell her."

Those were some of the most horrifying words the Doctor had ever heard come out of Rose's mouth.  he almost rolled out of the bed shooting back to look at her. 

"Why?" he squeaked, grabbing at her for purchase and ignoring her giggles as he situated himself back on the bed.  "We're doing just fine without your mother knowing."

"Well, you don't need to say it like that," Rose grumbled, shifting to be on her side and taking his hand in hers, kissing it.  "But someday she's going to wonder why we can't keep our hands off of each other."

"She's wondered that for a year," the Doctor replied, watching almost in awe as she continued to press kisses to his knuckles.  "Might do her a bit of good, all that curiosity."

"Or we could just tell her," Rose said bluntly.  "You know that if she finds out it'll be way worse.  She might slap you again."

"She might still do that when we tell her," the Doctor pointed out.  "And she's going to want us to... Explain, you know, when it happened."

She blinked, as though this thought hadn't occurred to her.  "Oh," she said quietly.  "We'll have to lie."

Their reason for lying was very valid in both of their opinions.  It had happened very suddenly on a planet where the air was an aphrodisiac to humans.  But even after the effects had worn up, Rose was still following the Doctor and only the Doctor, and really, a man's will power could only take so much, and so he'd had her right against the wall in the med bay and they hadn't looked back since.

That was a month ago, and they'd still been all over each other at every turn, finding it hard to keep off, which was why they hadn't been to see Jackie since that night. 

He smirked at her.  "Do you still think we should?"

Determined to wipe that smug smile off his face, she shifted under the blankets and straddled his waist easily, getting a surprised choked noise out of him. She fiddled with the buttons on his pajama shirt and bent down to kiss him, easily taking his mouth and coaxing his tongue into play with hers.  His hands came up to grasp her hips, trying to get her closer.

She indulged him, unbuttoning the top button of his shirt and pressing a kiss to the newly revealed skin, reveling in the pleased little hum he let out.  He nudged her forehead with his nose, urging her lips back to his, and she pushed closer to him, her hands on his chest.

After a few minutes of what was (certainly escalating) snogging, she suddenly pulled away from him, leaving him whining in protest.

She grinned at the confused expression on his face.  "Yes, I do," she said, wiggling slightly on him and making him groan.  "Now get dressed, we're going."

The Doctor grumbled the whole time he got dressed and waited for her, while he piloted the TARDIS, when he grabbed Rose's hand, and when he led them both out of the TARDIS.  He only stopped when Jackie Tyler exited the flat and came running down to meet them, hugging them both tightly. 

"You've been gone too long, the pair of you, do you hear me?  Where the bloody hell did you go?" Jackie asked as she dragged the couple back to her flat.

"Think we'd better discuss that over dinner," Rose laughed nervously, and the Doctor wondered if she didn't like this idea as much as she was letting on.

The day passed incredibly slowly, mostly because Rose and the Doctor kept wanting to snog and remembered that they couldn't because of Jackie being with them.  The Doctor, as he always had when visiting Jackie's, had his arm around Rose's shoulders and had her tucked against him.  He watched her talk, animating it with the occasional wave of her hand, and had to snap himself out of smiling softly at her .

It all almost fell apart when Rose went to help Jackie with dinner and bent down to kiss him.  Halfway there she realized where they were and the Doctor stretched up from the couch to press a kiss to her forehead, as if that had been the intention all along.  Rose sent him a relieved smile and followed her mum into the kitchen.

And most of what the Doctor referred to as "waste" hit the proverbial fan.

"So, mum, we've got something we need to tell you," Rose began, "And it's sort of the point of this visit."

"Alright, then, out with it," Jackie said impatiently, as if she had known something of this very sort was coming.

"Rose and I are bonded," The Doctor blurted out, shoving a forkful of Shepard's Pie into his mouth as he said it.

Jackie blinked at him.  "Yes, well, I know you and Rose are close, that's no secret, Doctor."

"Time Lord bonded," Rose corrected, scratching her forehead.

Jackie's eyebrows furrowed suspiciously as she began to catch on to what was being said.  "And what exactly do you mean by that?"

"Our minds, they're joined, and that can only happen through," The Doctor cleared his throat a bit aggressively.  "Consummating the relationship between the two who are bonding."

The Doctor and Rose could practically see Jackie's jaw hit the dining room table.  The three of them all stared at each other for a few moments, as if nobody could figure out just what to say, or who should start, for that matter. 

So they all just sat, unblinking, until Jackie hollered, "WHAT?!"

Rose jumped in her seat, fidgeting nervously under her mother's fiery gaze and red face.  "Well, yeah," she stumbled over her words.  "Last month, you know, it was kinda... Sudden, we both just realized-"

"Realized what?  That it was appropriate for a nine hundred year old man to shag a twenty year old?  You realized what?"

"That we loved each other!" The Doctor shouted, louder than Jackie could've if she had tried any harder.  He was suddenly on his feet, out to protect Rose's honor and their relationship, which was completely legitimate.

Rose's eyes widened, her head turning at top speed to look at the Doctor.  He'd never said the words, even after they had bonded.  She had just accepted that it was something that would be shown, not said. 

Everyone in the room went dead silent at this, the only sound in the room the Doctor's heavy breathing. 

"You love her?" Jackie asked quietly, all the anger draining from her face in what appeared to be one motion.  "You really do?"

"Of course I love her!" the Doctor exclaimed in an exasperated tone, as though there had never been a more obvious statement in all the world.  And of course, there hadn't been.  He loved her, and it was that simple.

Rose nodded, her eyes fixed on the Doctor.  "We realized that we loved each other," she murmured.

He smiled down at her, the motion lighting up his face.  And anyone in that room could've been able to tell that the Doctor meant it.

As much as Jackie hated to admit it, she felt her hostility towards the pair drain from her as she watched how they interacted.  How Rose's hand slipping into his seemed to calm him and he resumed his seat next to her.  Maybe having an alien for a sort-of son in law... Wasn't so bad at all.

"Oh, alright," she grumbled, "But none of that Time Lord bonding rubbish in Rose's old bedroom while you're here, understand?"

Rose and the Doctor nodded, beaming from ear to ear.

Jackie rolled her eyes and tucked back into her supper.  "And Doctor, if you break her heart, I'll break both of yours."