New, New, New Years

ft. Post-Christmas Invasion Ten

They had to stay at Jackie's for several days after Christmas because the Doctor kept falling asleep at rather inopportune moments.  It had absolutely everything to do with the regeneration and he was quite confident that sometime after New Year's he'd been find. 

It had happened a few times.  Rose would be chatting and look over and find him asleep with his head pillowed on the table, or laying on the floor, or somewhere else completely inconvenient.  She'd smile and wake him up before getting him to a bed, and he'd wake up confused and frustrated. 

By New Year's Eve, the Doctor seemed to be better.  He hadn't fallen asleep all day and decided he wanted to go with Rose to celebrate at the night club she was going to with her friends.  Rose readily agreed, having gotten used to the new Doctor and rather enjoying his company.  It was like having her old Doctor with her, but with more laughing and hugging.  She liked it probably a bit more than she should.

One thing the Doctor was fretting about, however, was the fact that he'd never styled this head of hair before, and really didn't know what to do with it.  "I really didn't have hair last time around, Rose, I think I've forgotten exactly what to do with any of it!" he'd said to her a few days previous before falling asleep on the couch.

Rose told him that first off, he'd have to wash his hair and stop running his hands through it and making it greasy.  And of course, she helped him wash it, and of course, the intimacy of the action was completely, one hundred percent lost on him.  She forced him to sit on the lid of the toilet so she could fiddle with his hair. 

"What do you think you want done with it?" Rose asked, pulling out a comb and a container of hairspray and one of hair wax.  "Cause we can leave it all floppy, like it was at Christmas."

The Doctor wrinkled his nose.  "I don't know if I liked that or not," he said thoughtfully.  "Could you try just, you know," he gestured vaguely, "fluffing it up, just a little?"

Rose grinned in response and nodded.  "Yeah, let's try that."  She pushed her fingers through his hair, making it stick up and giggling at how ruffled it made him look.  "Hang on."

She pulled a chair in from the dining room and sat before him, running her fingers through his hair a few times.  She looked at him and saw that his eyes had fallen shut.  "Does that feel different?" She asked quietly, "Than it would have before?"

He opened his eyes and stared at her thoughtfully.  "I don't know," he replied, "Nobody ever did it."

Rose almost smiled at that but decided not to.  "How do you think you'll do, at the party?  You'll have to let me know if you get tired."

"Yes, ma'am," the Doctor said sarcastically.

"Don't give me that," Rose scolded him, scooping out some wax from the container.  "You're going to tell me if you're about to knock out on the dance floor, alright?"

"What makes you think I'm going to be on the dance floor?" The Doctor shot back.

Rose snorted and shrugged before starting to focus on styling his hair.  "The last you had the moves, I want to see if this one does, too."

The Doctor seemed to hum in agreement as she finished pushing his hair in the 'half up' he was asking about. 

"There you go," Rose said with finality, sitting back in her seat.  "Looks pretty good to me," she said simply, crossing her arms in front of her. 

The Doctor turned to look in the mirror.  He admired himself for a moment and then offered Rose a smile.  "I think I might need you for my personal hairdressing needs."