An A+

"At least I get to be a teacher too, this time," Rose muttered, adjusting her pencil skirt.

The Doctor beamed at her. "You'll make a lovely English teacher, I'm sure of it," he said confidently. he adjusted his tie and opened the door to Jackie Tyler's flat. "We're off, Jackie!" he shouted over his shoulder.

"Back by six!" Jackie shouted back.

They'd agreed to stay with Jackie during their investigation of yet another school. After Canary Warf, and the whole scare with the Daleks and the Cybermen and almost losing Rose and Jackie and basically his family, the Doctor decided it was time to get back in the saddle.

But Jackie had wanted them close, so they parked the TARDIS in its usual spot and checked up every night, with Jackie so they wouldn't leave, of course.

Truth be told, Rose didn't find this school sketchy or shady or at all alien, but the Doctor wanted to be busy, and she understood that, so she had played along, and planned to play the role of the young, eager school teacher.

One thing the Doctor and Rose hadn't been counting on were how quickly the rumors were starting.

"Mr. Smith and Ms. Tyler? They're shagging, for sure. Started on the same day and everything."

"I saw them kissing in his office."

When Rose heard that one, she almost laughed. She hadn't even been in the Doctor's office, and she knew that even if she had been, she thought mournfully, there wouldn't be any kissing in there.

Sure, since the incident at Canary Warf, he had been more touchy with her, as if afraid that she would vanish if his hand wasn't at her back on interlaced with her own fingers. And she couldn't say that she wasn't enjoying it, because it was just as much reassurance for her.

They got back to the flat, the Doctor slept (or didn't sleep) on the couch, and Rose slept in her old bedroom. This was all much to Jackie's delight, because it was like having an honest to goodness family again. Sometimes she even wished her daughter and the Doctor would stop pretending and get into Rose's bed together (preferably on the TARDIS: there are some things a mother never wants to know).

For days Rose and the Doctor kept up their charades as teachers, and Rose found that she was actually a rather good English teacher. She sat on her desk asking review questions during class when the trouble started.

"Ms. Tyler?"

"Yes, Jessica?" Rose replied, looking over the questions list.

"You and the physics teacher, Mr. Smith," The entire class giggled as Jessica spoke, "You're datin', yeah?"

Rose offered a polite smile. "Not that it's any of your business what I get up to in my spare time, but no, Mr. Smith and I are not dating." She adjusted her flowing skirt around her legs, only doing it to keep the students from seeing her face turn pink. "Shall we continue?"

"Then why're you always holdin' his hand?" Jessica asked.

"Sometimes friends hold hands," Rose said casually.

"You always come outta the same flat every morning," a girl in back piped up.

Rose's head snapped up, her eyes wide with shock. "Have you all been spying on me?" She asked incredulously, and upon seeing the sheepish looks on their faces, shook her head. "Read page 300-302, and that'll be all for today."

She meant to grade papers, but she just stared at one of them with fury at the invasion of her privacy lit behind her eyes.

***