A Bit Scary

"This is how people die in horror films, Doctor," Rose said smartly.

The Doctor wanted to remind her that they really didn't have a choice.  On a foreign planet on Halloween wasn't exactly ideal, but they were going to have to make the most of it.  On Yaxnia, Halloween was not a staple of the culture, it just happened to be Halloween in London, Rose-Time as the Doctor called it.  He wanted to show her how many of the beings living there looked like stereotypical monsters, though they were really very kind.

And Rose had genuinely enjoyed it.  The woman who looked very much like the Bride of Frankenstein and she had gotten on rather well, but night fell and the TARDIS had shut down to do repairs, so they were very much... Well... Stuck. 

Rather stuck.  So stuck that they had to go to a rickety old hotel and get a room, which was what led up to Rose's statement. 

"Yes, well, we're not going to die," the Doctor assured her, swinging their hands between them as they neared the hotel, aptly called 'hotel'.  The sign was hanging off its post, but that was no matter, he was sure.

Luckily for the Doctor, the inside of the hotel was much nicer than the outside, very similar to a regular Earth hotel.  The only difference was the little trolls that were clearly the maids and the zombie-esque creatures at the front desk who spoke with a lisp.  He squeezed her hand in reassurance and took her up to the check-in area.

"Yes, we'd like one room for tonight, please."  He said easily, flashing the psychic paper. 

The 'zombie' widened its one good eye and nodded furiously.  "This way, sir."

Rose bit her lip, knowing it was rather rude to laugh at monsters with lisps.  At any rate, it was rather nice, leading them up several floors to their room and engaging them in idle chatter. 

When the door was opened, Rose was almost tempted to break back into the TARDIS.  The room looked a bit creepy.  It was all velvet reds and blacks, looking sort of gothic, and instead of lights, there were candelabras lighting the walls.  The zombie pointed out the en suite and left them to get adjusted.  Rose shivered as the door shut, leaving them alone. 

The first thing she did was dart to the window and close the curtains.  "It's only fun in the daytime," she explained breathlessly. 

The Doctor smiled weakly.  "I'm sorry," he said, scratching the back of his neck, "I really did think we would be out of here by nightfall."

"I believe you," Rose said kindly.  "But I'd really like to just go to bed.  Sooner asleep, sooner awake, yeah?"

The Doctor nodded, trying not to show how disappointed he was that she wasn't going to stay up and chat with him.  He pulled out the bag she kept in his trans-dimensional pockets and handed it to Rose.  "Let me know if you need anything else."

She bit her lip and shifted uncertainly from foot to foot.  "Could you... Could you maybe stay outside the bathroom?"  She blushed, feeling foolish, "Just so I know you're there."

"Of course, Rose."

She nodded quickly and he spoke to her quietly as she changed and cleaned her teeth, making sure she knew he was there as he changed into his own pair of pajamas on the other side of the door.  He was very quick at it, just in case Rose walked in on him.  He had to convince himself that he would mind if she did.

The truth was, part of him often hoped she would find herself walking in on him half-dressed.

Unfortunately, he was already dressed and ready to go to bed by the time she was finished, her hair tied up in a messy bun, the shorter layers of hair near the nape of her neck curling out from the style.  She threw him an uneasy grin.  "I'm just going to lock the door, in case."