Rose's Arranged Marriage

And before you ask, it's not the Doctor ;) Warning: a tad long

"You did what?"  The Doctor couldn't help but shout at Jackie.

"Don't you yell at me, you daft old alien," Jackie put her hands on her hips and glared at him.

"If I weren't so speechless, I'd yell, too," Rose snapped, "You can't just set up marriages for your kids, this isn't the 18th century."

"Oh, but you've been there," Jackie replied fiercely.  "So you would know.  And you also know that marriages like that are the happiest, anyways."

"Doesn't mean I want one!"

"Look at this," Jackie pulled a paper from a folder on the table.  "You're my daughter, you were mysteriously missing for a year, and by law I can still set you up."

"I'm twenty one years old!"  Rose carded a hand through her hair.  "You can't."

"I can if I think you're too restless for your own good or dangerous, says so right here," Jackie pointed at the paper.

The Doctor whipped out his glasses and snatched the paper from her.

"Doctor, can't you find a loophole?"  Rose asked. 

The Doctor's eyes scanned the paper, and he clenched his jaw.  "You... Jackie, I know of every loophole in the universe and there isn't one, how did you do that?"  He shoved the paper back at her angrily and Rose gripped for his hand, itching for support.

"I'm just as clever as you, Doctor," Jackie said softly, "And I'm worried about her.  She can't run around for her whole life."

"I can run wherever and with whoever I want," Rose snapped back.

"Well, have a seat on the couch, because your new husband and his parents are coming to meet me.  Gonna be honest, they weren't expecting you yet," Jackie gestured to the couch.

Rose sighed heavily and dragged the Doctor to the couch with her.  They both sat heavily on the cushions and the Doctor pulled his and Rose's hands into his lap.

"No, no, no, you keep that hand to yourself, mister," Jackie said firmly, perching on the chair next to the couch.  "This is supposed to be her betrothed we're meetin'."

"He's my best friend, mum," Rose said quietly.  "He stays next to me."

Jackie sighed.  "Might as well've hooked you two up, would've been easier."

A knock at the door jolted Jackie to her feet.  "Coming!" she yelled at the door.  She walked to the couch and ripped Rose's hand from the Doctor's before answering it.

"Hello!"  She beamed, her demeanor instantly changing.  "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, pleasure."

The Doctor bristled next to Rose at the name.

"And you must be Don, come in," Jackie was shaking hands with people in the doorway.  "You'll be surprised to find that Rose has popped in with her... Her best mate."  She smiled warmly and welcomed the family inside.

You didn't have to look at them for very long to know that they were a very posh family.  Don had very slicked back hair and was wearing a suit.  Rose found that even though he was attractive, she didn't find him attractive.  His hair wasn't ruffled, it was too smooth.  And what sort of rubbish was he that he wore dress shoes with his suit?  She glanced down at the Doctor's feet but her attention snapped back up when Jackie beckoned to her.

"Rose, this is Don Smith, your fiance." Rose stood to shake his hand, and the Doctor was right behind her. 

"Nice to meet you, Don Smith," Rose tried to smile politely.  "This is my best friend, the Doctor."