Short 20: Origins

"Since Rin has officially joined us, she will first need to understand what is going on," Jaehyuk announced.

I nodded attentively, although I secretly wondered how much I actually deserved to join them. Even now I had absolutely no idea if I actually did anything that led to Asahi coming. I did not complain, though. Even if it was selfish of me, I wanted to be part of them.

"There are two types of information here," Jaehyuk continued. "First, there is the information that all twelve boys know, because we all witnessed it. The second is the information that only a select few of us know. Namely Hyunsuk, Yoshinori, Jeongwoo, if I'm not wrong. Of course there is the third one, the secrets that are on a more personal level, but that's not exactly relevant right now. I believe the secrets you three are involved in are connected to the first type?" Jaehyuk gestured at Hyunsuk, Yoshinori and Jeongwoo.

"Yes," Hyunsuk confirmed.

"Hyunsuk has given his word that he will let us in on whatever they have been involved in, but first we need to fill Rin on the first type of secret," Jaehyuk continued. "Junkyu! How about you do us the honour and provide us with some storytelling?"

"What?" Junkyu gaped. He looked around wildly, and then placed two hands onto his head in surprise. "Why me?"

"Just do it," Haruto said in his deep voice. He had a mischievous smile on his face.

"Right," Junkyu agreed begrudgingly. "Um...so twelve years ago we were just kind of standing around..."

"Junkyu what kind of terrible storytelling skills is that?" Jihoon scolded. "Let's redo it!"

"Um...twelve years ago twelve boys..."

"You need to be more expressive! Come on! Be more dramatic. Wow us with your amazing storytelling skills," Jihoon insisted. Junkyu laughed. He raised his hands, moved it around wildly before mumbling a few unintelligible lines and burst into laughter again.

"Jihoon, that's too embarrassing!" Junkyu whined.

"You're the embarrassment," Jihoon teased. Junkyu laughed again, this time leaning onto the wall for support.

"So Twelve years ago," Junkyu began, his face solemn this time. "An incident happen that changed the lives of all twelve of us. Forever."

That fateful day occurred on August 7th, twelve years ago. It just so happened that that day was the unveiling of a much-anticipated tourist attraction in the country, and hundreds of families gathered round the place in hope of being able to see it for themselves. The twelve boys and their families were no different.

Mashiho, Yedam and Junghwan made a small noise. The other boys and I simultaenously turned to stare at the three of them, who quickly apologized and excused themselves.

Junkyu in particular had been there with his parents and his older brother. For just a few minutes he had been distracted by a rather ostentatious ice cream truck lurking in the corner, and wandered away from his family in pursuit of the delicious treat. As soon as he neared the truck a huge flash of bright light blinded him, and he stumbled backwards in fright. When his vision cleared he saw that the truck was still there, and a man poked his head out.

"Do you all want ice cream?" He asked the crowd of children standing a few feet away from his truck. Not one of them wanted. Most of them immediately turned tail and ran, but Junkyu just stood still, slightly dazed.

He looked around him. Everyone was still walking as if nothing had happened. All the adults within vicinity, at least. The ice cream man also seemed completely unaware that anything out of the ordinary had happened.