Curiosity Killed The Cat

Jared.

He was sitting with a few guys I knew. One of them, Dan, was in top class with me. The other two I'd seen around but I didn't know their names. Dan was short like his friends, and had very chubby cheeks. He wore large, black framed glasses and had dark gurly hair and brown eyes. Another guy, who's name I didn't know also had dark curly hair and and large, black framed glasses but he was a tad taller and had different facial structure and less chubby cheeks. The other guy, William I think his name was, was Asian. He wore glasses as well. It seemed like Jared was the only one who didn't wear glasses.

For some reason, that day he looked better than he had before. I mean, he always looked good, but that day, I didn't know what it was, but he looked almost flawless. The way his hair was slightly quiffed at the front, the way his hazel eyes sparkled when we had our little banters, the way his face lit up when he scared or surprised someone, the way his dimples deepened when he smiled...I shook my head. I reminded myself of the real reason I was here.

I walked to one of the desks in front of me, and sat directly where I could see Jared and his group and where he-I mean they could see me. I put my laptop and science book onto he desk and looked up at him. He was already staring at me. When our eyes met, he smiled and I felt this twinge in my gut. I pretended to scan the library for someone else I knew. It was hard to resist looking back at Jared, just to see if he was still staring at me. 

I saw one of my closest friends, Kai, and got up and walked over to him with a mischievous smile. He was looking at a book in the fictional section so he had his back to me. And Jared was only a few metres away from where Kai was standing.

"Boo!" I said loud enough to scare Kai, even if it was only a little scare. He turned around abruptly.

"You're getting better at scaring me, that's gave me a teensy tiny little heart attack," he smirked. 

"Aye, you've gotta admit, that was pretty scary," I joked, poking him lightly on the shoulder.

"Ow that hurt so much! I think you broke my collarbone Lo!" he said sarcastically. I'd known Kai since preschool. We'd had our ups and downs, but I trusted him with my life. I was just afraid of what he's think of me if I told him about...No Chlöe, you can't tell anyone. 

"So what are you doing here this early Lo?" he asked, emphasising on the early part.

"Science assignment's due today," I replied sheepishly. 

"Of course!" he sighed with a small smile. "You need help?"

"Nah I just didn't wanna be by myself," I said laughing, waving off his offer, eyeing the direction Jared was in.

"Oh? Oh! Okay, let's go get started unless you want to get kicked out of your house," he joked.

"Hey!" I said giggling. He finally understood why I had actually come to him. I hadn't exactly lied, but I hadn't told him the truth aloud, because, you know, I just couldn't in that situation.

We walked back to the desk and sat down. He took the seat next to me so he could see Jared when I couldn't. 

"Thank you so much, I honestly appreciate it," I whispered.

"Hey, what are friends for?" he smiled. "Oh and by the way, I've seen you two talking, or should I say flirting."

"We were not flirting!" I shriek-whispered. He raised a eyebrow.

"We weren't flirting," I said, narrowing my eyes. 

"Whatever you say, Lo," he chuckled, raising his hands up in defeat.