Chapter 75 The Aftermath

See end for notes:

Last chapter:

"Do not underestimate me, Sirius Black." She said, her wand pressing into his throat again. "You and your little gang were and are horrible people from what little I've heard and seen," she said, through gritted teeth, "Harry and I have walked through hell together, and there is nothing I would not do to keep him safe. You have hurt him too many times, have failed him too many times and I am tired of watching it-""You've got this all wrong, out of proportion-" Black wheezed. "No," she spat, "you have it all wrong Sirius Black. Stay the fuck away from Harry. You do more harm than good. You're pathetic." He reeled back as if she had struck him with more than just words, and stealing herself, she cast her spell with not a hint of regret.

"Confundus-obliviate" Hermione said, her wand not wavering.

When Sirius's eyes went glassy, she turned his face, so his eyes met hears and continued, "Harry and I came to visit you. We talked about Crouch, Moody, the tournament, that is all. You told us a bit about the war. We did not talk about Dumbledore or how he has manipulated Harry. You won't remember Harry saying Dumbledore placed compulsions on him. Harry asked about his father and was upset at what you told him. You told us about what you all did to Professor Snape, and what you did to Lily. Harry didn't find your bullying as funny as you thought he would. That is what you argued about, he ran off, and you told him not to come back. You will not tell Dumbledore what was said in this meeting. And you will stop reporting back to Dumbledore every little thing Harry says.

You will go back into the cave and curl up for a nap. You will not remember me spelling you or the conversation we have just had."

"Right," Sirius mumbled getting up and shifting back into a dog and going back into the cave.

Hermione followed him in and watched as he curled up by Buckbeak and went to sleep. The Hippogryph watched her with solum yellow eyes. But she got the impression he was not necessarily disapproving.

Hermione summoned Sirius's wand and put it down next to him. She then picked up Harry's forgotten bag, stumbled out of the cave and promptly threw up. She couldn't believe she'd done that. She'd never obliviated anyone before. She was horrified.

But she didn't regret it.

When her stomach was calmer, she washed her mouth out with an aquamenty charm, then banished the water and the sick. She didn't want anyone knowing what had happened.

Taking a few deep breathes, she hurried down the mountain after Harry.

When she got to the stile at the base of the hill, she was about to climb over it to look for Harry in Hogsmeade, when Harry appeared from under the cloak.

Hermione screamed.

"Sorry," he said hoarsely, "sorry! Didn't mean to startle you."

She climbed up onto the stile and sat down next to him, hugging him tightly. It was to comfort herself as much as it was to comfort him, but he flinched away violently, his eyes wide and wild.

She let go as if burned, feeling teary, hunching her shoulders. It had been a long while since he'd flinched away from her.

"Harry?" She asked cautiously.

There was a hollow look in his eyes, and she could see him trembling. He looked like she felt, hollow and shaky as if she could shake apart at any moment.

"Sorry, sorry," he said his voice thin, "Is, is he really mad? I shouldn't have said anything, shouldn't have argued. I shouldn't have run, should have just taken it, so he doesn't... But I was just so... I just felt so angry and so betrayed! He's not what I thought. Not who I thought! Not what I wanted him to be, and he never will." Harry said quietly, his hands shaking. "I thought he'd hit me."