Chapter 69: A Matter of Trust

A second chapter today, because I'm feeling generous and as a thank you for all your lovely reviews and support! They make my day and I appreciate each one.Also the next chapter is fun... and I'm a impatient for it. See the end for more notes

.....

Much later, Harry was returning to his cupboard to sleep after having used the time turner. Despite scheduling meals, breaks and sleep, he was always glad to get back into bed for another few hours once they'd finished their extra day. He just hoped he'd be able to turn his head off long enough to get some actual sleep this time.

His mind hadn't stopped turning the recent revelation of trust over in his mind. And it was keeping him from relaxing enough to go to sleep.

He let himself into his cupboard and got changed into his pyjamas, smiling when he saw the big steaming mug of Hot chocolate Winky had left there for him. Downing his night time potions, and casting a few quick detection charms over it, just to be sure, he took a long pull.

Winky made the best hot chocolate. Sweet, rich and wonderful. He was pretty sure it was a lot of real melted chocolate with just a little bit of milk added.

He snuggled into his nest of blankets, and he felt some of the restless energy drain out of him, now he was behind his wards.

He took another sip of the hot chocolate and grabbed one of his mum's big woollen jumpers from his nest of blankets. It dwarfed him, but was soft and warm and smelt faintly of roses. He'd found it in the back of her wardrobe. It was very comfortable.

He was really tired and just wanted to sleep, but his mind would stop racing. Detention with Snape had been odd. He'd been decent. He almost seemed concerned! Maybe Bill's faith in the man wasn't misplaced.

The detention with Snape was one of thing, but mostly, the thing that was really rattling around in his brain was the idea of trust. The idea of trust itself, he couldn't seem to let it go.

It was mind-boggling.

He hadn't been able to stop thinking about trust since he'd talked to Bill. Or since Hermione had said she was with him no matter what. Or really since Charlie had been there for him after the first task.

Ever since realising, he actually trusted them. He couldn't get that epiphany out of his head. It felt huge, and he couldn't seem to let it go. It kept repeating like a broken record in his mind. Who he trusted and why, and which moment had proven to him that he could trust them. Especially since Bill's help with Professor Snape really had worked. Today's detention had helped. He had learnt a lot.

He could trust them. Three people, he trusted completely without a doubt. Charlie, Hermione and Bill.

It shouldn't matter, but it did. Normal people trusted their friends and family like it was nothing. But to Harry, it felt big. It felt huge.

He'd never had anyone to trust before. Not really.

He trusted Hermione, who had walked through hell with him.

Charlie, who had held him after the first task and had listened to him.

Bill, who had been there for him over the yule break, through that ritual, who hadn't yelled at him when he fell asleep on him, who's advice was constantly sound.

Fred and George who set Peeves on their own brother for him, and left Gryffindor for him, knowing they'd get their mothers howler and further disappointment.

Neville, who risked his grandmother's wrath for him when he chose to leave Gryffindor for him.

He trusted them. There was nothing he wouldn't do for them, he realised. They were his now. His people. They mattered. He'd do anything for them. To keep them safe and happy.