Chapter 68 Detention Revelations

Harry managed to finish his sandwiches, be on time, and not to be seen. It did not help stop the dread in his stomach though at the thought of detention with Professor Snape. He wished he's skipped the sandwiches actually. He'd scoffed them down on the way to detention, worried about going hungry, but he wished he hadn't now. With how anxious he was, they were sitting in his gut now, making him feel a bit sick.

But when he cautiously entered through the open classroom door, Professor Snape just gestured for Harry to have a seat.

Harry cautiously sat, flinching when the Professor flicked his wand. But Harry just felt strong wards wash over him. They felt different from Hogwarts, warm magic, cooler and sharper, fierce. He shivered.

Snape glanced at him sharply, unreadable expression but just said,

"now Hagrid has come to me in regards to the matter of your detentions. Though you are no longer un-housed, you will still have to serve out the remainders of your detention, unfortunately."

"I didn't earn those detentions sir," Harry said irritably trying to force some steel into his spine. He was managing them, but it was really tiring. Not to mention unfair. And there was no way he would have managed his homework and detentions without the timer turner.

Harry cringed a little as Professor Snape looked at him for a long moment. He was sure he going to get yelled but...

But to Harry's surprise, he just agreed and said, "No. you did not."

Harry gaped at the man.

"Don't gawp Mr Potter," the Professor snapped, "it's unbecoming."

Harry blinked and thought he sensed a flicker of amusement coming from Professor Snape, but shut his mouth quickly.

Professor Snape continued, "you will continue to serve out your detentions, as we cannot override them-"

"I didn't really expect you t-" Harry stammered defensively, only to be cut off.

"Be quiet," Professor Snape said before continuing, "as I was saying. We cannot override detentions given by other teachers when sanctioned by out illustrious Headmaster, and Deputy."

Harry gaped at Professor Snape, turning his sneer on someone other than him for a change. It was actually pretty funny.

Professor Snape caught it however and said, "what did I say about gawping Potter?" Harry snapped his mouth shut again and leant back a bit away from the man.

Professor Snape pinched the bridge of his nose, but continued, "But we can change who conducts them and as lease make them into some use for you." Harry glanced up sharply.

"But for goddesses sake, Potter don't be an imbecile and skip them. Use your brain for a change!"

Harry flinched but clenched his jaw. The man had a point, but he didn't want to just sit and take something so unfair.

Professor Snape sighed.

"For goddesses sake Potter, think!" He snapped, and Harry flinched but to his surprise sensed exasperation coming from the man, not anger.

"I know you have a brain in that skull of yours. You are an underage student with no parent or guardian to stand up for you. You have been slandered in the paper, and the rumour mill and the most you could achieve now at best is an official complain to the board of governors that will be dismissed and at worst you will get more detention and disciplinary actions. It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

They think they are in the right. Even if they are not, you are a child. No don't argue with me, you know that's how they will see it." He said, catching something on Harry's face.