Chapter 74 - Sirius's Reckoning

Your getting this a day early as my motherboard is fried and the laptop is in the shop. And it's 5am on a Friday and I'm awake with a phone so happy reading.

Sorry the formatting of the paragraphs is iffy. I can't fix that on my phone right now. So you'll have to wait while the laptop fixed. But I figured you would rather iffy formatting and a new chapter than having to wait.

I'll re post it when the laptops fixed with the proper formatting. So if it really shits you, you'll can wait another week or so.

A bit long, but important

Yes some bits are from the book, but its been heavily tweaked and adjusted to fit my plot.

I'm so pleased with this chapter, it took ages, I worked really hard on it.

—————-

Sirius led them to the very foot of the mountain, where the ground was covered with boulders and rocks, and very little shrubbery. It was steep, but Harry and Hermione were fit from running and had little trouble keeping up.

After a while, Sirius slipped out of sight, and they saw a narrow fissure in the rock. They slid in to find in a cool, dimly lit cave. Tethered at the end of it, one end of his rope around a large rock, was Buckbeak the hippogriff.

Harry wondered absently how Buckbeak had fit through the small mouth of the cave.

They bowed low to him, and after regarding them regal for a moment, Buckbeak bent his scaly front knees and allowed Hermione to rush forward and stroke his feathery neck. Harry, however, was looking at the black dog, which had just turned into his godfather.

Sirius was wearing the ratty robes from Azkaban. His hair was matted again, and he was very thin. Harry winced and pulled out the packet of food.

"Real Food!" Sirius said hoarsely diving on it, tearing the package open, before grabbing a drumstick and tearing off a large chunk with his teeth.

"Thanks," said Sirius chewing and swallowing hurriedly and tearing off another mouthful.

Harry winced, as hurt and furious as he was with the man, he couldn't not feel sympathy for him. He knew that hunger. He knew what it was to truly be starving. He should have known, should have sent Sirius food before now.

"I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself." He grinned up at Harry, but Harry didn't manage to return the grin.

"What're you doing here, Sirius?" he said.

"Don't worry! I'm pretending to be a loveable stray so I can fulfil my duty as godfather," said Sirius, as if trying to make a joke. But the way he was gnawing on the chicken bone hungrily made it fall flat.

Harry stared, really? Was he really here for him? But then Sirius cared about him enough to live off rats in a cave? He felt awful for being so angry at the man, for not thinking to send food before now, for letting his godfather down. But still. He'd been so angry at Sirius's actions, but still, Sirius was supposed to be family.

"Sirius..." he said, "what if you're found?"

"Don't worry Harry, this place is safe. Dumbledore suggested it when I said I wanted to be close and keep an eye on things."

Harry felt cold inside. Keep an eye on what? Or who? And for whom was he doing it for? But if he was only here on Dumbledore's wishes, then surely no one would live off rats just for a job? He felt his anger returning, but he clamped down on it.

Still, if Dumbledore knew Sirius was here, "and he couldn't send you food?" Harry asked incredulously, "if he suggested you stay here?"

"He's a busy man Harry," Sirius said dismissively, "doesn't have time to look after me and besides I'm a free man again! I can look after myself. Though if you do feel like sending across some, I wouldn't say no." Sirius grinned, tearing off another mouthful of chicken.