Chapter 58 Godric's Hollow

Sorry it's a bit later than usual, I was bought my first car this morning. Its a small stick shift and is bright green. I'm rather pleased with it.On a more related note, this is the chapter they leave Nocturne top go back to school, with a side trip.
*

Harry woke up on the second of January, their last day in Nocturne, exhausted but calm. It had been a busy week, but a good one. And possibly the first time in his life he had felt truly free to be himself.

It was an addictive liberating feeling. He felt like the alley had become home, and he liked the people, and they seemed to have accepted him as one of their own. For the first time since he was a young child, he felt like himself again.

He was heartbroken to leave the alley. It was busy, dark and cozy. There was always a hint of a threat. The people are interesting and fascinatingly odd. And despite their prickly cautious nature, they' were kind enough once they start seeing him as 'Morbid's boy,' as one of them, one of their own.

They're like him. They don't fit in anywhere else. They'd didn't care that he had scares, they didn't stare when they saw, and they didn't ask. Because other than his lightning bolt scar he's not about to hide them all. Why should he?

The alley felt like home now. And for the first time, he was sad for the holidays to come to an end. And while he had considered sneaking into the forest for the Ostara break, he thought maybe instead he'd go back to Nocturne, he liked the people and thought he'd probably miss them.

He said goodbye to the regulars at The Hung Drawn n Quarters on Friday. Furloff, Birdie, Klaus, Fern, Ripgut the grumpy goblin who liked the tentacular curry, and the Crone, the dream catcher weaver that no-one knew the name of.

Secretly Harry just thought The Crone, liked everyone's confusion and deliberately refused to tell anyone her name. Though, with the number of fake names going around Nocturne, that was pretty standard.

It was not a teary goodbye or an emotional one, but Morbid made him promise to be back and said his room would be waiting for him and his sister next holidays. Her and Hermione use the time-turner at dawn to go back half a day, so they could get a good nights sleep and easily switch back to diurnal time without pulling another all-nighter.

The sun was rising and they left the inn and slipped silently out of the alley. They'd said their goodbyes before they slept and Harry was not a fan of goodbyes, but he felt sad leaving all the same.

They catch the Knight bus to Godric Hollow. They train didn't leave until 9 o'clock, a bit earlier for the term holidays. They had a few hours until then, and Harry wanted to see where his mum had lived.

The bus let them out in a little village square. Christmas decorations were still up, strung all around with coloured lights. The normality of it was jarring after how gothic Nocturne was.

There was what looked like a war memorial in the middle of the square. A windblown Christmas tree partly obscured it. There were several shops; a post office, a pub, and a little church whose stained-glass windows sparkled in the early morning light. It was so different from the feel of Nocturne, especially with the cross's on the churches windows that it felt almost unsettling.

Hermione eyed the church. "They... they'll be in there, won't they? Your mum and Mr Potter? I can see the graveyard behind it."

Harry felt a swooping feeling in his gut, more like fear or dread than excitement. Now that he was here, he wondered whether he wanted to see any of it at all. Hermione seemed to know how he was feeling because she reached for his hand and took the lead pulling him forward. Halfway across the square, however, she stopped dead.