Chapter 50

*

*

The princes and the princess took a moment to let this information sink in.

Maeve could tell that prior to this very moment, Thor had no idea about Frigga's plan. He stood there, mouth open wider than usual, just as shocked as they were. Perhaps even more so, because of his so-called birthright.

"The three of us... rule... together?" Loki asked skeptically. He kept his hands still at his sides, carefully hiding his emotions. "With all due respect, Mother, I don't believe that Father would-"

"Your father is not making this decision. I am." Frigga raised her eyebrows, daring him to contradict her. Wisely, he did not. "He has not named an heir and I will not do it for him. Consider this real-life experience, because, for at least one of you, this will not be your last time sitting on the throne."

"Mother-" Thor began, his tone uncertain, but Frigga cut over him.

"This is my final decision. I wish to remain at your father's side in case his condition changes, so I am entrusting Asgard to the three of you, my children. I know you will not let me down." Frigga patted Maeve's cheek fondly. "If you need a healer, I'll be in Odin's chambers. Just knock."

"Thank you, Mother," Maeve said with a shy smile, her voice scratchy but warm. Frigga's motherly affection always made her blush, especially with the passing of the queen of Vanaheim many years before, and she tucked a curl behind her ear subconsciously. Interactions like that made her miss her own mother more than ever. "I appreciate your offer."

"I expect to be filled in on the events of your trip to the Jotunheim later on tonight, but for now, I believe you have work to do," Frigga said, pausing at the door. "Have a good afternoon."

Once the queen had left, the trio stared at each other for an awkward moment or two.

"So..." Thor said, shifting Mjilonir from hand to hand. "What's the plan?"

"It's mid-morning. Unless he is otherwise occupied, Father usually listens to appeals from the people in the morning and meets with his council later on," Loki said, thinking back to all of the lessons Odin had given them on ruling as children. It had been a long time, so he had to drag that information to the forefront of his mind. The memories were dusty and discarded, but they still remained nonetheless.

Thor looked mildly interested. "Does he?"

"Of course he does," Loki snapped. Two minutes in and already irritated. Maeve put a hand on his arm, which softened his glare. "I suppose we should just sit down and tell the guards to let any guests in. That is, unless anyone has a different plan."